PIP award

Hi
I am new to the group, I am glad to have some sort of support.

I was wondering if anybody has been refused pip mobility having arthritis? The reason I am asking is, I also suffer from bad sciatica and mental health issues and was diagnosed in October with arthritis. I have been receiving pip at lower rates for mobility and notified Dwp about change in condition and now all my pip award has been stopped, I am due to go to tribunal. I have been giving a blue badge from my local council and have had adaptions put in to my flat to help me with my mobility. I am 41 years old and have worked all my days I just feel so down hearted now. Any advise?
Thanks
Rachel

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169

Hi and welcome,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• Rachel1978
    Rachel1978 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you 😊
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

PIP is not given just because one has a particular condition, it is based on what you can and cannot do and assessment. I know of some people that have had their PIP withdrawn because they have had aids put into their homes which enable them to do more. Someone else has one leg and had their PIP withdrawn when they got a new prosthetic which enabled them to walk unaided. Often the assessor does not have a clue about specific medical conditions and "misinterprets" what he/she sees, this is why there is an appeals process.

• ADRIAN
    ADRIAN Member Posts: 17

YES REFUSED PIP MOB WENT TO TRIBUNRAL REFUSED DUE TO MY EVEIDENCE BEING 20+ YRS OLD DESPITE SAY MY CONDITION LIFE / DEGENRATIVE . AGE 56 MOBILITY WALK RANGE 20- 50 METERES CANT STAND UP RIGHT 1-3 MINS WITH OUT SITTING . RE APPLY GO GP GET RF TO ORPHOPEDIC SURGEON UP TO DATE REPORT SYSTEM PIP / FIT FOR WORK MEDS FLAWED / COROPT SET UP U SO U FAIL . THANCKS IDS DUNCAN SMITH .

• ADRIAN
    ADRIAN Member Posts: 17

AGE 56 , HAD works accident 34 yrs ago relapse 1998 . NOW have permanent damage to lwr back spine degenrative . 2020 have early signs arthrittiss . result now have walking range 20- 50 meteres max with out stopping . standing more 1- 2 minuites very painfull, daily pain . REFUSED PIP WENT FULL ROUTE TRIBUNRAL . JUDGE ADVICE because my eveidence was 20 yrs old ortopedic surgeons it did not back up current mobility claim just said what problem was not outcome . ie problem limited MOBILITY walk max 20 - 50 meteres limited standing around . go back to my GP get refured to spechialist get upto date report to confirm my claim . IE due accident 20 yrs ago the resuklts are 2nd dengerative changes have set in to extent i now have limited walking capacatity 20 meteres / standing issues . DUE to covid 19 coronavirus ATM getting to see GP is difficult @ seeing @ speachilist even harder problem . ALSO prob now every were you go you have to stand join ques try stay away these places or take @ little fold up seat . does not help when young age 36 ATOS nurse LIES on the assesstnment form ,DWP mulipinate it further . PIP IS NOT customer freiendly **** DLA was .

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 14. Jul 2020, 20:06

Adrian

I am so sorry you lost your PIP despite gaining extra health issues.

Did you get any help in completing your application? I only aks as places like Citizen's Advice are experts in wording things right.

I agree definitely get some up to date medical reports so that you can re-apply and have evidence to back up your claim. I am presuming you were claiming the mobility component?

PIP has proven to be a nightmare for many people. If you ahven't already it is worth reading this and looking at the factsheet on PIP:

Take care

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Adrian, you need up to date medical reports etc to support your claim. As well as the CAB some Adult Social Care departments at local Councils can also provide support in completing the documentation; ours in Cornwall can also accompany you to assessments and appeals. Also put "PIP" in the search box in the top left hand corner of this page and it will bring up a lot of posts about the subject which could be helpful.