Masks

I'm wondering if anyone has had any advice as to what type of mask those of us with high risk need to be wearing as we venture out. Also any links people might have found. Personally I'd love a gorgeous liberty print number but my reality is needing to be safe not pretty.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

From The Guardian:

Surgical grade N95 respirators offer the highest level of protection against Covid-19 infection, followed by surgical grade masks. However, these masks are costly, in limited supply, contribute to landfill waste and are uncomfortable to wear for long periods. So even countries that have required the public to wear face masks have generally suggested such masks should be reserved for health workers or those at particularly high risk.

The World Health Organization has recently changed its guidance on face masks, saying that people over 60 or with health issues should wear a medical-grade mask when they are out and cannot socially distance, while all others should wear a three-layer fabric mask.

Further info including a template to make your own mask can be found at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/07/which-kind-of-face-mask-is-the-best-protection-against-coronavirus-covid-19

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

The only time I might go out over the next three months is for a blood test at the beginning of July. When I went for my bloods on 01 April my surgery issued the standard NHS flimsy blue which I wore for all of three minutes. I shall wear it again with a Liberty print / linen-lined (made by a neighbour) much bigger mask over the top. I will not be going out for any other reason, the risk is not worth it. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

My understanding is that masks really only benefit everyone near you, ie they stop you sneezing or coughing and spreading the virus in expelled droplets, unless you’re wearing a full surgical mask, which are reserved for nhs a staff. I only wear my mask in situations where it’s difficult to maintain 2m distance or where specifically required by current guidelines. The rest of the time, I make a point of not touching my face until I can wash or sanitise my hands, as that’s how the virus enters the body (ie via eyes, mouth or nose) and I wear any old pair of gloves simply to remind me not to touch my face. Wearing a mask can end up with you touching your face MORE, as you’re fiddling with your mask, which has been one of the reasons the govt has been slow to recommend them.

• Grace111
    Grace111 Member Posts: 30
    edited 10. Jun 2020, 12:11

I have got a pattern to make masks but I haven't actually got round to it yet as I am still shielding. It is difficult to know what to do though

Grace111

• Gemthom85
    Gemthom85 Member Posts: 26
    Yeah i am led to believe that masks are a measure to stop spreading it. Not stop ypu from contracting it. In otherwords if someone has the virus whether it be a carrier or symptomatic and the sneeze the mask would catch the droplets. But if they touch the mask on the inside and touch something else it contaminate what they have touched...
    If a healthy person is wearing a mask it might assist in contracting covid but realistically it can be ingested via eyes so.....if you are less than 1m an someone sneezes a mask will not help. On fact i think they are going to cause more of a problem as it is just another surface to clean.
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

An alternative to a face mask is a full face visor, have a look at tool merchant websites they are quite cheap and look similar to the ones that you see Drs and Nurses wearing on TV. My baby sister is now wearing one at work in ASDA as she finds breathing through the mask difficult and by wearing a visor at least you are not tempted to keep touching your face to adjust it.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

A Dr in the vlllage has made some of those face screens @Mike1 and I have one!

As yet i haven't had a chance to wear it, but will do if needs be.

I have a cycling 'buff' and two cotton handmade masks. I have a lung condition and am not keen, but will wear it and do so when shopping arrives at the door.

@GellyBelly66 is right they need to be washed or be disposable hence me having 3 options.