Advice on benefits

Options
Hi
I’m 48 and have severe osteoarthritis in both hips i am waiting for my consultant to refer me for hip resurfacing on both hips I can’t drive I can’t work I can’t dress myself can I claim benefits as I have no idea.
Please help as I don’t think I can take much more of this I’m so depressed about it all and I don’t seem to be getting any help got very little pain relief only codine but this just doesn’t really help.
Please help as I’m desperate
Regards Andy

Comments

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119
    Options

Just take the bull by the horns and arrange an appointment with the Benefits Agency, any other advice is irrelevant as they hold the key to the safe.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @Andy71,

It must be so hard to be in pain and not sure when it's going to be sorted. Two members of my family and several of my friends have had hip replacements or resurfacing - like you they were in a great deal of pain but in all cases the operation was successful and they have their old lives back. Try and hold on to the thought that this will be temporary and things will get better.

In the meantime, could you talk to your GP about pain relief? There are other pain killers apart from codeine and one of them might be more suitable for you. You could remind your GP of the pain you're in when you talk to them, to see if they can speed up the date of your operation.

It might help you to talk to one of our advisors. They can't give you medical advice but they are supportive and can certainly sign post you to where you can find help. Here's the link:

Also, if you want to find out more about benefits and financial support that you might be able to apply for, have a look at this page:

All the best to you,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm