Should I sign my confirmation?

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with undifferentiated inflammatory arthropathy with spondyloarthritis. I don't know much about it but I was asked by my employer asks me to confirm that I am ok to go back to work.

I have never received any letter telling me that I could be at risk and my doctor didn't mention anything. I worry a little bit. I know my symptoms and struggles but I do not understand medical terms. Should I sign my confirmation?

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Firstly check this out to see whether you should be shielding or not - https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/april/coronavirus-covid-19-and-arthritis-where-to-go-for-information/

Secondly I used to be involved in a bit of HR and have NEVER heard of anyone having to sign a declaration that they are fit to work. It sounds like your employer is trying to cover his/her back for some reason.

I would suggest contacting your GP for advice concerning your condition, medication and whether the type of work you do presents a problem and vice-versa. You could also try the CAB and your Union if you are in one.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I was fortunate to be self-employed but, like Mike, I have never heard of this either. You need proper advice.

Have you been given any medication of the kinds that suppress the immune system? In the world of rheumatology they are grouped under the title of disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs). If so you are in the group who should be shielding. What kind of work do you do? DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    We had this going on at work, retail, turned out you could sign it and go back to work if you wanted if you were vulnerable, but if extremely vulnerable you obviously didn’t have the option. Those that didn’t sign it to go back early are still paid until the end of June but some people wanted to return so as said earlier just a way to cover themselves I guess. Not everyone wants to shield even if asked to do so.