Gardening - what's going on in your garden

wazz42
wazz42 Member Posts: 233
edited 23. Jun 2022, 09:37 in Chit chat

Thought I'd revive the gardening discussion. Lots of us are finding more time to spend in our gardens so we should have lots to chat about and show everyone!

Comments

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

Not a lot going on in my garden except for lots of eight legged Things (I hate them with a passion). A few weeks ago I decided it would be nice to have a couple of climbing roses to go across the back fence, so I ordered some, they are already in pots but as far as planting them.......they will have to live in their pots until such time I can find someone to dig a hole to put them in ( obviously I didn't think it through, porridge brain again)I did order a water feature at the same time, I'm really pleased with it. The cats have an out door fountain now as well as an indoor one!

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

We have 3 pet ducks who have their own area of garden with a very nice pond for their soul use, but they prefer to escape their fence and play in my water feature muddying the water, damaging plants and eating all the insects that have colonised it. Every time they get out it is fun to watch OH trying to find how they got through the fence and sealing up any holes.things are bursting into life and so re the weeds!

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Mike1

I love your new nabours, are the pyskies? We have a lot of fairy doors in the town where I live, the children love to wander around and find them.

Best Wishes

Sharon

• wazz42

That's fantastic Mike, I love it

Here's my picture of a bit of the garden that I'm pleased with,

Got the violas from Aldi, they are nice and cheerful, and make the patio very tempting. I'm lucky that I'm facing the window when I'm typing away and can see the patio

Has anyone else got dopey wasps? OH hates them with a passion but they are getting indoors and just sitting, or I find them on the patio waiting for me to step on them - or the cats to think it's desert time!

I planted some seeds yeaterday, flowers and a couple of veg

xx

• wazz42

We are on our second day of rain here, not that I'm complaining, it's the only way the whole garden gets a water! It's giving me time to spend on other things, I've booked a Facetime with our son and family for this afternoon!

xx

• Hort
    Hort Member Posts: 2

Been spending more time in the garden, rain this morning but passed now. Planted out some salad seedlings this morning. Was pleased to see the rain the garden was very dry, Gardening is a one of my passions and spend as much time as I am able in the garden.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Hort

welcome to the forums it is lovely to have you here and wondeful that you are enjoying your garden so much. We have a great new blog with tips on gardening with arthritis that you might enjoy

Let us know how you get on and share some pictures

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Hort
    Hort Member Posts: 2

Thank you, will certainly post pictures when I work out how to do it, I am an ex horticultural lecturer , and passionate gardener. I am semi retired spending two days looking after a large garden and when not in lockdown freelance horticultural tutor for a private gardening school. I like vegetable growing having a small veg plot, my passion is propagation and the stories behind plants, which we grow in our gardens . Looking forward to participating in the garden forum

• wazz42

All that sounds brilliant @Hort I will enjoy hearing about the stories, especially about our common plants

The sun is shining now but the breeze is cold.

I'm very much an amateur gardener, but I enjoy it greatly - my Mum was my mentor, she has enjoyed gardening for as long as I can remember. She had lots of conifers which were a bit of a passion until the flood in N Wales in Feb 1990 when many of them died.

I love growing fruit really, I have blueberries, raspberries and strawberries as well as a few trees, but I'm trying some veg this year

xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,283

My Dad was my mentor wazz! He loved gardening. We moved house so many time sin our childhoods and the first thing he did was always to dig a veggie patch :)

I have a large back garden, but most of it is greenbelt so just green....which actually is rather lovely🙂

I love all Mike's fairy houses and your owl and foxy too!

I have had a delivery of plants which need potting up so today - please may I have some 🌞?

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton

We neeeeeeed RAIN!!!!!

It's been too long.

Kath I love your garden, but can see it wasn't exact;y 'low maintenance' very much for nature and wildlife even a DIY pond there I see.

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

Ours is at the best it’s been for years, luckily I had lots of grasses, ivy and miniature conifers in pots and baskets. Both gardens are down to grass, wood chippings, pebbles and golden gravel other, than for mature bushes everything is in pots and baskets which I have supplemented with circa £25.00 worth of bedding plants bought from Aldi on my weekly shopping jaunts.

I have no problems using my motor mower, the pots and baskets are easy peasy, if bending becomes a problem I use a plastic chair and work seated. Ladders and hand held power tools are now out of bounds, however our son, who is a professional gardener at a stately home, obliges a couple of times a year.

I’m no Percy Thrower, but am very happy with my efforts.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Ducks are good for devouring slugs, they love them.

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    We have decided to put a pond in..I dug one many years ago all on my own...thank goodness I didnt have to dig this one..its coming along nicely..just wish I could get down to plant the rockery..any tips on that..would be appreciated.. I am loving Mike's garden ..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ronnie
    Ronnie Member Posts: 5
    We've put wild flower seeds in a piece of our garden.....it's only a small area but it will add some colour and attract the bees and butterflies. Got to get a bird house and bath next. 😁
  • frogmorton

Everyone is doing so well!

Hearing about other people's gardens makes me want to get outside even more. Mind you there's a really nasty wind out there again today 😕

Barbara - aubretia; wild Thyme; sedum; sempervivum.....maybe? I also like fried egg plants!

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

I needed three plants to replace three that had lost their will to live, so as we are now allowed in garden centres, off I plodded. What a mistaka to maka, huge queues to get in and when you eventually make it you are confronted by a plethora of folk wearing masks and gloves and using human avoidance tactics that put anything that I’ve come across during the crisis to shame.

• stellabean

I hope this works this time I have had computer and internet problems for weeks and posting photos seems to be my latest battle.

Sorry about the mad angle I couldn't get it to turn the right way. This is my water feature I dug about 16 yrs ago while my husband was going through treatment for a spinal tumor and I needed something to do while he rested. It was great therapy for getting anger out ( took months to get any investigations for his pain). It took about 7 months doing a bit at a time. It is loved by the wildlife.

• stellabean

Wild orchids have seeded themselves all over the place even in the top of the tree ferns.(I had to do this as another post as couldn't get more than one photo to load.)

Another photo I couldn't turn round sorry guys. I am collecting some of the excess plants for a local botanist for his garden as I have so many and they keep popping up. It is time I thinned out some of the mature plants as it looks a bit over grown but I don't like it too tidy.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I managed to plant one courgette yesterday before my back gave out and I retreated to my chair!

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

We have been laying a barrier down over the ground surrounding the orchard, we’re on to our second dumpy bag of bark. I did four trips with the wheelbarrow yesterday from top of the garden to the bottom and madam did some as well whilst I raked it even. More to do today. Although after twenty years of complaining our neighbours have halved the height of their row of leylandis, they still don’t look after their garden so we get all the ivy on our side, aagghhhhh!

Mowers coming out in a minute while it’s a touch cooler.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,739

It's official, I couldn't squeeze so much as an extra pansy into my garden, it's stuffed to overflowing!