Ladder rat!

Lilymary
Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi all, feeling pleased and relieved today, my job often involves going up scaffolding, but after being diagnosed with severe OA in my hip at the start of lockdown, and which has got very rapidly worse, I was worried about how I would be able to manage ladders. But I did my first two whoppers today, so I know I can keep working. Yay! (I was pretty scared though, as usual, but you just have to get on with it. Even the builder I was with said he didn’t like it much either !) had to go up leading with my good leg, so I was a bit slow, and I couldn’t squeeze into a few tight corners as my leg doesn’t like bending any more, but we managed ok between us. 🙂

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Total respect you to Lilymary I wouldn't fancy that whatever my state of health! I am very proud of you well DONE!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

As a professionally qualified Health & safety Practitioner before I had to give up work I will refrain from commenting!!!!!!

• Lilymary

Believe me Mike, I was very keen not to fall off, so I was taking it very slowly!! And it was a very well built scaffold. I wince at some of the ones i’ve Been up in the past though. I declined the one that had been up so long the ladder had rusted away and there was grass growing on the scaffold boards 😅😱

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    Well done. It means a lot when you can do something like this when you have arthritis. I work in a lab,but spend a lot of time out and about sampling, in the hot basement,machine floor and up onto the really quite hot mezzanine floor. I then test the samples then retreat to the office (got my own at the mo due to Covid) to enter data and recover! I want to carry on doing this as long as psoriatic arthritis will let me. 👍
  • Lilymary

Sadly I blew it today, up a little ladder in the garden trimming the wisteria, stepped off badly and yanked my hip. Back on the sofa with a heat pad till it recovers now 😖😢

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

Jesus Lilymary, never mind scaffolding, I was relieved when platform shoes and stacked heels went out of fashion. 😫😴

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    Oh no,how easily these things can happen. Take care 😘
  • Lilymary

@Crookesey, Haha! My sister was a nurse in A&E in the 70s when they came in, it was an endless stream of ankle injuries for a while! I had my first Saturday job then in Lilley & Skinners, and we used to try on all the new stock in the staff room - some of them were impossible to walk in, but caused much hilarity.