Hello

Options
Ilovemydog
Ilovemydog Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone. I have had osteoarthritis for about 15 years. I had both kneecaps replaced when I was 46, which was life changing, but am really struggling with fatigue, depression and intermittent pain and swelling in my knees, but also pain in the tops of my feet and swelling and stiffness in my hands. I had negative rheumatoid and autoimmune tests and x rays of feet and hands were normal. I am a single parent, have had depression for years, even before my diagnosis and one of my children is mentally ill- recovering from an eating disorder. I feel so alone. Have no partner or family. I have friends, but I don’t want
to burden them and they are usually busy. I feel utterly overwhelmed by everything and scared. My mother died from Wegener’s granulomatosis and I’ve always worried that I might get it, despite being told by my mother’s consultant that it isn’t hereditary. I isolate myself and it’s really not good for me.
Caring for my daughter, who’s 17 is extremely challenging .
I just need to talk to people who understand. Thank you xx

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Ilovemydog welcome to the Online Community, it's lovely to have you here.

Feeling isolated is very difficult and the forums are a great place to come and chat, ask for help or talk about things that are difficult: we all understand and do know what it is like to live with different forms of arthritis and the feelings that go with it all.

If you need to talk to someone in complete confidence, do get in touch with our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 which is open Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 8:00pm

The Versus Arthritis web site has some helpful pages of information on osteoarthritis and do talk to your doctor about fatigue, depression and intermittent pain - they should be able to suggest any local support that is available.

Do join in across the Community: tell us how you are getting on, ask for help and unload those things that you need to if it is proving to be a difficult day!

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Just wanted to say “Hi” Ilovemydog, and welcome. What a lot you're having to deal with, I wish there was a magic wand to help you out, but making contact with a kind and friendly forum like this is a start.

Have you been to a GP with the conditions you describe? perhaps referral for an X-ray or to the pain clinic might help you?

Pain, life stresses and depression can be a vicious and exhausting cycle, each can cause fatigue, which makes the pain and depression feel so much worse, so that it’s hard to know where you can start making changes. Perhaps try to make it a new task to look after yourself, to help yourself through this maze. Just small steps. But I do think a trip to your GP to try to get on top of your pain issues may be a good place to start.