Tech Support & Bugs

Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 8. Aug 2020, 10:22 in Community Feedback and ideas

We have had a couple of "technical queries" about how to do things on our new forums, plus two bugs reported so far, which is brilliant 😄

Starting this thread so that you can post anything here in the Comments that you find. It will also help us compile a list of "Using The Forum - Hints and Tips" that would help everyone.

================================

Tip #1 If posting to someone in a conversation, you can use @username to have a notification (bell icon) appear when they next visit the forum.

================================

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

@Brynmor Did it work?

Any idea why my typing is getting 'saved' almost every minute as I type?  This results in me either blithely typing on and leaving a gap or having to stop.

Both frustrating 😕

Is it my lap top or the new forum?  Whichever it is any idea how to switch it off?🤔

Thank you

Toni

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi Toni,

The auto save can be a good feature. If you have to nip off for a minute it remembers what you've done, though I’ve had occasions when I’ve returned and found a few words missing so the auto isn’t quite 🙃

I'll see if there’s a setting but I’m thinking possibly not.

Yvonne x

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have had multiple postings appearing when hitting the "Post Comment" button. (I use an HP laptop.)

• Brynmor

@frogmorton Yes using the @ sign puts an entry in your Notifications that says you mentioned me.

@Mike1 There is a tiny pop-up message that appears bottom left that is very easy to miss: it says if there has been an error or some other reason for your post not appearing. I replied to you in the thread, having deleted your 2 other identical posts. We will be raising it with the tech support next week. 😃

All the best. Brynmor

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Thank you Yvonne.  Yes I have had words/letters missed out and now I have been temporarily locked out allegedly posted too many posts in too short  a time😥

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Bug on the twitter plugin for tablets / iPads being huge. I’ve put screenshot below.

• Brynmor

@Shell_H

I haven't been able to reproduce this bug in Safari, Chrome, Brave or DuckDuckGo browsers on the iPad. All the listed browsers showed the Twitter feed as normal.

It did show up on the Opera Mini browser on iPad, which crashed within a few seconds. This browser is known to have issues with all web standards.

The Firefox Focus browser blocked the Twitter feed entirely - Twitter feeds have embedded trackers which this browser disables and renders the plugin defunct.

Which browser were you using?

• Does anyone else have problems using mobile / tablet browsing problems with the Online Community? It would be great to hear from you!
  • Shell_H

@Brynmor - Safari on an iPad mini.

• Brynmor
    edited 5. Aug 2020, 13:36

Having cleared out my Browser Cache to check out an unrelated issue, I now see the Online Community without viewing members' avatars. Instead, I get the "ghost" icon used for the default view before avatar icons are applied:

This isn't happening on all Discussions, just some of them.

We have raised the issue with our Tech Support to see if they can tell us more.

• Shell_H

Avatar bug has happened to me too - although I didn't clean out my cache to trigger it, it just started on some of the longer threads. I've found if I click on the avatar to go to the profile page then back again the avatar loads correctly, but that's not an ideal fix.