Newbie, worried what the future holds

Options
RMBScotland
RMBScotland Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, my GP suggested that I join this community.

Back when I was about 13, I suffered a slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) and had pins inserted to stabilize the hip, and when i was 17 I had the pins removed. Back then I remember the surgeon telling me that I would ultimately suffer osteoarthritis.

I am now 55 and my GP has confirmed that I have started on the journey. Over the last 6 months i have started to get some pain during and after light exercise.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has been journey, and what I should expect and any advise that they can offer.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @RMBScotland and welcome to the online community!

You had a slipped capital femoral epiphysis when you were young, and the GP told you you would eventually get Osteoarthritis. Now you are older this has indeed happened and you are experiencing pain from light exercise.

The good news is exercise (any form, even doing housework counts!) is good for OA - strengthening the muscles around your joints helps to take some of the pressure off the joints and so helps reduce pain and experience of OA. So by doing some exercise you're already doing the right thing. Pain during exercise does mean that maybe those exercises aren't the best ones for you tho, so if you have a choice (and it's not from walking up and down satris, where you don't have a choice) then maybe have a look at some other exercise options. Here's some information on exercise with arthritis:

I myself now have OA in my knees, and I've found I can't do any impact exercises now - nothing with jumping or running is suitable, so it's tricky to find the right thing to do!

As you're new to OA, here's a little information about it so you can have an idea what's happening.

For myself, the onset has been quite slow, and I'm managing it quite well at home, trying to improve the amount I exercise (I have a very sedentary job which has not helped with keeping fit) and taking some supplements which, either through themselves or the placebo effect have helped me not be so stiff - especially when I first wake up. If necessary I use a stick, knee supports and take over the counter painkillers. Others have been less lucky and it has progressed a lot faster for them, but I'm sure they'll tell you their own stories. Depending on how it affects you you may have a different journey to me, but there are all stripes here.

I hope you have a look around the community and check out some of the other conversations. There's a lot going on and it's well worth it.

Lovely to meet you,

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Go your GP!

Welcome @RMBScotland to the online community!

You have definitely come to the right place for support. We are a friendly community who know loads between us it's just good to be able to speak to people who relate to us isn't it?

Join in wherever you like people will all welcome you.

By the way keep up the exercise if you enjoy it. I do some every day if I can. I just use walking poles now to take the pressure off a bit and keep safer. Use it or lose it i think😉 The stronger our muscles and other parts which support us and our joints the better for the joint.

Take care

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Nobody can advise you what to expect from OA as everyone is different, it could remain as it is or it could get worse, what it won't do is get better.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Sadly @Mike1 is right, it is different for everyone (with some shared general issues) but it won't get better by self healing. Surgery is available for some conditions, with varying degrees of success. But you can do a lot to help your body cope with it. As Toni mentioned, if you can manage it, and if it doesn't make your symptoms worse, exercise will help you mentally, and will help your muscles support the injured joints. If it's making things worse, then slow it down, or find different exercises. Unlike general fitness, pushing through the pain makes it worse, not better, as it inflames the tissues in the already damaged joints.

The osteoarthritis in my hips is partly genetic but partly due to abuse, one mountain too many (thanks Julie Andrews - you didn't mention the arthritis at the end of the rainbow). I'm 61, and after pain niggling for years, it's finally caught up with me and I'm on the list for steroid injections and eventually a new hip. The other hip and my knees are revving up for some attention too.

Meanwhile I win the prize for The Best Limp in Town and do a lot of wincing, grunting and occasional swearing, and get by on handfuls of pain killers. I have to be fairly active anyway for work, with some changes in how I do it, but for the particular pattern of damage I have, I find most home exercises too painful, and even going for a walk in the local woods is beyond me now, never mind those Alpine mountains, Hopefully I'll get some of it back when the NHS recovers and books me in, but it's doubtful that I will get back my pre-fall out mobility. Time to find some new hobbies!

• RMBScotland
    Options

Everyone, thank you for the responses and information. I will reply shortly.