Petrol Cap

Alice1
Alice1 Member Posts: 6
edited 11. Oct 2020, 19:41 in Living with arthritis

Hello. I'm finding it more and more difficult to open the petrol cap on my car. We have lots of gadgets to open jars and bottles but is there one to open petrol caps?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Alice1

Well, that's an interesting thing to put into a search engine...

I couldn't find any specific aids that are advertised specifically as petrol cap openers, just lots for jars, lids and bottles.

I also came across entries for people discovering faults in the mechanisms used to keep petrol caps closed - each different depending on the type of petrol cap - It may be you need to have a garage check out that your petrol cap is getting harder to open as the locking mechanism is starting to fail.

Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395

When I have the sort of time I can't open my cap (or hold the petrol dispensing thing handle down enough for fuel to come out) I ask the staff to help me.

Maybe we should mention it to Arthr @Brynmor

• Alice1
    Alice1 Member Posts: 6

It's not that my cap is getting stuck, it's me that can't grip it very well to open it like jars and bottles.

There is one gadget advertised but it from America and, for what it is, it's very expensive.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395

Alice

Those are the ones I found too and not that many options even then!

Honestly I would just ask the staff at the garage to loosen your cap for you - far cheaper. You might want to 'fill up' at quieter times though. I know I would.

Take care

• N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 160

This might be overkill, but there is an app you can download for free on to your smartphone called 'Fuelservice'

It gives you a map of your nearest participating petrol stations, you select one, it sends them a message asking if they can help you in the next 30 minutes. You arrive, tell them which pump you're at and someone comes out to help you.

I've used it and it takes so much stress away.

(it's free so I don't think I'm plugging anything here - i saw it in the Motability magazine)