I have had O.A and now probably R.A.

Options

Hi, I'm 60 and have had O.A. for over 20 years, had 2 lots of neck surgery many years ago, have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and will need a knee replacement next year. An x-ray of my foot which has been very painful for about 10 months shows a lot of bone erosion and I'm awaiting blood tests to confirm/rule out R.A. I've been very unwell this year, 1 planned surgery turned into 3 surgeries, 2 dvt's and a p.e. I'm no longer allowed to take anti inflammatories so currently take 8 paracetamol a day to take edge off pain, pace myself, try to be reasonably active, I've lost 6 stone since Feb so now have a normal BMI. I want to build up leg muscle prior to knee surgery but foot is so painful. What drugs or activities might help. I also have narcolepsy so try not to take tramadol or pregabalin regularly anymore. I stopped these drugs in May .

Lots of questions, any pointers in any direction would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the Forum, @Achy_g .

I note that you have had OA for some time, but are now waiting for confirmation That you have RA (or not).

Here is a link to some information on RA

and to the Helpline

Good luck, take care and keep in touch.

Tom

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Deekaren

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I’m so sorry to hear that you have been very unwell this year, and you are now waiting on blood test results to confirm or rule out RA. You did amazingly well to lose 6 stone and bring your BMI down to normal, that can be so helpful for your joints.

You could ask the doctor for a referral to a physiotherapist, who can then offer you an individual programme of exercise for the joints in need.  Keeping moving is important, we would talk about low impact exercise such as walking, swimming, and cycling. Activities such as yoga, Pilates and tai chi are also helpful. Low impact exercise puts less stress on your joints.  As you mention pacing yourself, which is also important, so trying to find that balance between activity and rest. You will find further information about exercising within this link:  

There are many different types of painkillers with paracetamol being the mildest, and you say they take the edge of the pain. Do have a review of medications with your GP so something can be found to help you. The link below will give you information about the different types of painkillers:

I can see that Tom has given you a link to our helpline, please give us a ring at any point if you would like to talk, our number is: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline advisor