My first week.

Options
CatDad
CatDad Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

It's been a week since I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee. I am still waiting for physiotherapy, and, in the current situation, I am not holding out for a quick appointment. Nevertheless, I am making progress. I have researched my condition a lot, I am excersising, walking and stretching every day, and, importantly, I am making sure I don't sit in one position for too long at work.

Two things that help a lot with pain are keeping my knee joint warm and support, either in the form of a knee support or walking with a trecking pole. I'm hoping with an ongoing weight-loss programme that these things will make this thing manageable.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hi @CatDad

Just a week since your diagnosis and you’ve really started taking control. Well done! I have rheumatoid arthritis but I so agree that one of the most important things is to keep moving whenever and however you can. It’s so good for physical and physical health. The second thing is arming yourself with knowledge as you’re doing and that’s where the internet comes into its own. The Versus Arthritis website is my go to place for any queries I’ve got - it’s reliable, up to date and really helpful. This forum is great too - there’s usually someone who’ll give you supportive answer to questions you have, or will just listen if you need to have a rant.

Below are links to a couple of Versus Arthritis pages that you might useful on osteoarthritis of the knee and on exercise.

Wishing you all the best - do let us know how you’re getting on.

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @CatDad

If keeping your knees warm helps have you seen those heat patches you can buy specifically for knees? You can get them in most pharmacies and some Supermarkets too.

Also a minor idea - my husband moved his driver seat one notch forward and it made a bit difference to him.

I am very impressed with your attitude and taking control - hope you get your physio soon🙂