Tips and ideas for a hassle free Festive Season

Sharon_K
Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
edited 19. Nov 2020, 10:39 in Living with arthritis

We all know how difficult and exhausting the Festive Season can be so we thought it might be a nice idea to start putting together some hints and tips to ensure that we can all enjoy without getting into a flareup or feeling utterly exhausted by the end of it all. The Festive Season is a time for giving and sharing so let's make the best of our survival ideas.

• Get the family to help out as much as possible with vegetable preparation
  • if cooking a turkey is too daunting why not have seafood and salad for Christmas Day
  • not everything has to be made from scratch so getting some prepared vegetables, puddings and mince pies
  • if you order presence online there is often an option to get the gift wrapped, so why not treat yourself and your hands to a rest from all that wrapping.

I am sure your ideas will be better than mine so please share away

Best Wishes

Sharon

Comments

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85

Thanks Sharon, some useful ideas.

Here are a few tips I’ve found useful:

Use gift bags instead of wrapping paper - far less fiddly and they can be used again

Buy a turkey crown instead of a whole bird - easier to carve and less waste

Use ready made pastry for mince pies.

Rina

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

We banned nearly all Christmas presents and just have a party instead. I can’t tell you how much hassle that saved! Our family all go bonkers buying presents, but it’s so stressful and the young’uns could be better spending their money elsewhere. We weren’t sure about it the first time we did it, but tbh it was fine (and our family do know how to party!), so we’re sticking with it. I just buy for my mum and OH and a couple of friends.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I only buy pressies for family and two close friends, all done on-line and, where possible, by adding bits to my normal grocery shop over several weeks; oh, and a special pressie or two for Vixen of course! Other than my baby sister these are sent out well before the day as I have no transport. The day itself sees Vixen having a tin of red salmon for breakfast (she also has a new bowl but don't tell her), my baby sister will come over for an hour in the morning with her pooch and then that is it, door locked and just me and the cat; I may get a text from my other sister and niece but I won't hold my breath! No special food just normal microwave meals.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 17. Nov 2020, 10:56

Prelit Christmas tree for definite Sharon!

Some people even go for pop up ones.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

More Christmas Tips for 2021

If you have got this far, we have another set of Christmas tips and advice that you might find useful.