Newly diagnosed

Shazr
Shazr Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi all I’m recently diagnosed with RA. I’m 33 years old. I started out in June with swollen joints around the hands and fingers and put onto methotrexate. I was in hospital two days ago to find the RA is still very active and now have it in my foot also . My foot is about twice it’s normal size and I have now been put on another medication called sulfasalizine . I was also given steroid injection feeling a bit nauseous today . Feeling quite down with all this and just thought I would join here to interact with others facing the same problems as myself

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Shazr - welcome to the online community 😊

I see you're new to Rheumatoid Arthritis, and you're coping with all the medications which go with it.

I'm not sure how much information you've been given, so here's a basic overview of RA to make sure you have the details you need:

One of the things about arthritis is that it makes it much harder to exercise, but if you can strengthen the muscles around your affected joints then it can really reduce the pain. So I'd suggest having a look at the specific exercises on the following page and giving them a go - if it hurts stop, and see what you can work up to over time.

There lots of lovely and friendly people here on the community, and I see you've already looked around and joined in other discussions. That's my best advice - look around and join in and chat. You'll soon find you're not the only one who struggles and that there's a community here of fellow poeple.

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,396

Hi @Shazr

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to our forum. I am sorry you are having a tough time at the moment. I hope though that your new regime of medication will be the one to get things under control for you ((()))

Come along in now and join us all