Hi

Eaitken
Eaitken Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

I'm 39 and just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and am in shock to be honest. I've been having issues with my feet since lockdown but deteriorated quickly last few months and spread to hands, wrists, fingers, knees, elbows, shoulders - everywhere it seems! Tried to open a tampon the other day and epic fail as my fingers didn't work. Had to laugh otherwise I would have cried! Finally on Methotrexate but told it can take 3 months to take effect and in a lot of pain. My hands are worst and can't sleep more than a few hours each night. Any advice on how to cope with the pain I'd be eternally grateful :)

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 668

Hi @Eaitken and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I see that you’ve recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which has rapidly spread to many areas of your body. You’ve started taking Methotrexate but this is taking time to have any affect which is leaving you in significant pain.

Well you’ve come to the right place to share your symptoms and receive advice from others who have been through what you are currently facing.

As well as feedback form the forum you may find these links to our main website useful:

I would encourage you to fully engage with the forum as I’m sure you will receive valuable feedback.

I hope that the combination of information available on our website plus input from forum members can provide you with the feedback you’re looking for.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Eaitken Nice to meet you and welcome you to the forum from me too🙂 I came here when I first had symptoms too and found it so very helpful and supportive I am sure you will feel the same.

I'm surprised that the GP hasn't given you a half decent painkiller to be going on with while waiting for the MTX to kick in🙄There are medications which you can have prescribed which are slow release - that might give you more than 3 hours sleep if you are lucky and a few of us take amitriptyline to help us sleep and relax our muscles at night too. There are other meds which do similar as well.

It's possible that you could get some splints for your sore hands for night time too which might help.

Take care keep posting - it helps!

• Eaitken

Thank you that's really helpful. Going to look into some splints as it just seems to be getting worse. Who would have known your hands could keep you up at night!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 24. Nov 2020, 18:33
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 24. Nov 2020, 18:55
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 24. Nov 2020, 18:44
  • Eaitken

Hi @Christian78 thank you for messaging, that's really helpful advice. I spoke to my doctor today so hopefully getting more pain relief. It's a big adjustment as have been so active all my life determined to get back that way but just need to get pain under control. I'm actually just about to move from London to Spain - planned before this diagnosis but still going ahead :)

Thanks again for your advice. Take care.

• frogmorton

@Eaitken my anti-inflammatory is also Arcoxia 90s like Christian. It's a one a day tablet so in theory gives 24 hours. It is also a COX2 inhibitor so gentler (in theory) on the stomach.

Wow exiting off to Spain! A permanent move?

• Eaitken

Thanks @frogmorton all advice gratefully received! Yes permanent move to Ibiza. Set off on December 4th. Slightly concerned about my ongoing health care but found a rheumatologist and determined to not let this diagnosis stop me. Watch this space for how it turns out 🤣

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Hopefully the heat out there will help your condition, don't forget to pack earplugs for when the hoards of young people descend on the island!

• Eaitken

🤣🤣🤣 thankfully we're living a long way away from the madness!! Too old and stiff for all that jazz!

• frogmorton

Wow @Eaitken!!!!

That is amazing! Please do keep in touch with us on here and let us know how it goes. I'm glad you have found a rheumatologist already. I take it you are pretty good speaking the language?

• Eaitken

Ummmmm I speak a little Spanish but plan on having intense lessons! I know how to order a glass of wine 😂 I'll definitely keep you updated, this forum is going to be invaluable to me as I navigate this illness. Have a fab day

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eaitken

Hey @Christian78 feeling a bit better thanks. Have a prescription for Etoricoxib and I'm not sure if methotrexate is starting to kick in as definitely in less pain. I've also started wearing splints on my hands at night which also seem to help a bit. Thanks for checking in, really kind of you 😁

• frogmorton

Hi @Eaitken

Well done it may well be the Arcoxia I swear by it it really helps with my inflammation and pain. Be great if it was the MTX though wouldn't it? Splints do help I'm sure they do you don't knock your hands and it forces them to rest.

I suppose regarding Spanish ...being able to ask for a glass of wine is pretty useful😁🍷Good idea to take proper lessons though.

• [Deleted User]
    edited 29. Nov 2020, 19:52
  • Eaitken

Hi @Christian78 I'm feeling pretty good, thanks for asking. I mean my hands and wrists still hurt during the night but the splints are helping. My shoulders are also keeping me awake at night but I see a physio tomorrow so hopefully they have some advice of what to do. But overall I'm feeling loads better. How are you this week?

• Eaitken

That doesn't sound like much fun. Pain is all encompassing isn't it and masks everything else. Its quite daunting being at the start of this diagnosis as I have no idea how bad it is and how bad it could get but just going to take each day as it comes. Keep in touch and stay safe 😁