Good riddance to 2020

Options

Hi everyone,

I would like to wish everyone a happy 2021 and let's hope that this year things get back to normal.

It was a strange New Year's Eve seeing everything shut down and no celebrations in the UK but it was necessary to stop thousands congregating and not observing social distancing due to the effects of too much alcohol. We must carry on observing restrictions and now we have two vaccines hopefully it won't be long until we come out of this and can get back to some sort of normality with the easing of restrictions.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Karen 🐶

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Our NY celebrations were overshadowed by my lovely next door neighbours, who are in their late 80s/early 90s, who both have covid. One has just lost her brother and sister in the space of a few months (non-covid conditions) and was faced with almost losing her husband too when he was diagnosed with Covid on 24 Dec. They've been married for over 60 years. He's recovering well, but the paramedics have been to see her twice in the last few days. They wanted to take her into hospital, but her husband couldn't bear the thought that he might never see her again, so they're nursing her at home for now. She's in a state of total exhaustion and rearlly struggling.

So to anyone who thinks the restrictions don't matter, feel free to give me a call and I'll tell you how it is.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm feeling pretty touchy about this. I can't bear the thought of anything happening to these two lovely and devoted people. They've been so careful throughout this, they never left home for the whole of the first lockdown, but with the recent funerals etc, they came into contact with a family member who hadn't been so careful, and this is the consequence.

Sadly 2021 is going to be much the same for a while to come. My own mum is 92 and she's only been out 3 times in the last 9 months. My sister has PMR so she's on steroids living in a really high risk area, and she's not sleeping at night she's so worried. It's going to be a while before the vaccines start making an impact, and we have to take as much care as we did 9 months ago, if not more given how virulent the new strain is,

Hunker down and stay safe everyone. I'm hanging out for 2022.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

My neighbour was taken into hospital today 😢