Long term damage?

Options

Hi,

I suffer from osteoarthritis in my hip. I was due to have (much delayed) surgery tomorrow but it has been cancelled. Of course, no-one knows how long it will be until I am offered surgery again.

My condition has been categorized by my consultant as both 'urgent' and 'severe'. If surgery is delayed and my condition continues to worsen, does this have a bearing on how well the hip will 'recover' post-surgery? Can I still expect a fully functioning hip or does a badly deteriorated hip pre-surgery pose long term problems or issues post-surgery?

I'm 60, female and very active.

Your knowledge and thoughts are much appreciated.

Many thanks,

RubyGlass

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 6. Jan 2021, 09:45
    Options

Hi @HipGlass

Welcome to the online community,great to see you.

You ask about delayed Hip surgery and wether it will affect your eventual recovery for a fully functioning hip.

I have had a Hip replacement only last year it was already really deteriorated,but I now have a fully functioning hip no pain its great,just to reassure you that when you eventually get your hip replacement it will be fully functioning after exercise and hard work.

Here is a link I think might help you.https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hip-replacement-surgery/

Hope this helps in the meantime chat online to others on our forums,they are very friendly and understanding,and please keep in touch

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi RubyGlass,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, I am sorry to hear your hip replacement surgery has been cancelled.

It is fantastic that Christine has been able to pass on her experience of having a hip replacement and provide some reassurance for you.

I know it is very unfortunate that it has been cancelled but please try to stay positive with the knowledge of once you have had the operation your quality of life will hopefully be much better, and like Christine has said with the exercises and expertise of a Physiotherapist that you will receive after the operation and doing the exercise that has been suggested your future should be a lot better.

If you would like to call the Versus Arthritis Helpline and speak to us, you’d be most welcome to do so, by ringing us on our freephone 0800 5200 520.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Ruby

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. I Chris_R has shown you our hip surgery information - thanks for that.

The uncomfortable fact about delays to treatment is that these create uncertainty. What orthopaedic surgeons have been saying to us at the Helpline is the importance of 'pre-hab'. This term refers to the kinds of movements and exercise which can help you retain muscle and hold off developing muscle weakness. In the same spirit they are emphasising the importance of balanced diet to prevent putting on weight. They have emphasised how important it will be that people such as you are finding informal support through our networks and finally that you should stay in touch with your GP to support you if you pain increases. If you do feel that your joint deteriorates, you may want that message to get through to the orthopaedic team, so they are aware of changing priorities in the waiting list.

And we'd of course encourage you to ring us at the Helpline on 0800 5200 520 if you'd like to have some support on the phone.

Very best wishes

Guy

Helpline Team