Arthritis/itching

I am 82 and have always been active until 3 4 years ago when I have had to take pain killers to manage. I have had a total hip replacement, have steroid injections, not at present because of pandemic, for my shoulder. I also have severe stenosis in my lower back. What I cannot get my doctor to address is the constant itching, without a rash, that I experience mostly on my torso but also on my head, face and behind my ears. Is the itching a symptom of arthritis?

would be grateful for advice. Valerie

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi @Casswell

I am so pleased that you have joined us on the Online Community Forum. How are you finding it at the moment as you are not able to have the steroid injections for your shoulder? Are you having any other treatment to compensate for that?

Have you spoke to you Rheumatology Consultant regarding the itching? You can also ring our Helpline number which I have attached below.

Helpline 0800 5200 520

I know I get itchiness but that is to do with some of the medication I am on as it is a side effect. Maybe that is another route you can go down. Hope this helps and you are able to find out an explanation

AJ_x

• Hi Valerie / @Casswell

Thank you for your question about arthritis and itching. I am sorry you are experiencing pain due to arthritis and have been unable to get your GP to address the constant itching.

You don’t mention which type of arthritis you have been diagnosed with. If you have osteoarthritis it is unlikely that there is a link between the arthritis and the itching, unless it is a side-effect of the medication as AJ suggests. Inflammatory types of arthritis, such as psoriatic arthritis, may be associated with skin conditions. It may be worth asking your GP if they have considered inflammatory arthritis. It would usually be a rheumatologist who diagnoses and treats inflammatory arthritis. You can read more on the link below.

I have also provided a link to some NHS information about itchy skin. This may help guide your future discussions with your GP.

Thanks to AJ for suggesting that you contact the helpline and for sharing our number. I’m not sure if you have done this already but if not, we may be able to provide more tailored support to support you with your next GP consultation.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatment

Allergies - NHS