After effects

jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 12. Mar 2021, 11:24 in Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I had my first vaccination 3 days ago - Astra Zennica. Next day I had muscle & joint pains. At first I thought it was going to be a flare up but quickly realised it was side effects. Also, very tired. I had an easy day, didn’t push myself & just rode it out with rest & pain relief. The following day was better only needed pain relief at bedtime. Today, all back to normal. I read that people with weakened immune systems do tend to get more side effects ( don’t know if that’s true?) as it means their immune system is reacting to the vaccine. I certainly hope so. My Rh nurse has advised me not to have my biologic injection this week to give it time to work. That’s all ok with me, I’m so happy to be on my own personal road out of restrictions.

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi @jennand

I read that as well. I know there is another member that has had exactly the same vaccination. I will leave her name and if you would like to get it contact with her that's up to you. It is @Fruitbat1981

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @jennand

Well done having your injection I bet you are pleased to have that done 🙂

I didn't post but my daughter had hers also Oxford (works in a nursing home) and had a lot of side effects. Vomiting, high temp, red injection site, BUT after 48/72 hours it is all fine.

She sees it as hopefully a positive sign that it is 'doing something'

I think i'd rather have that than the real thing any day!

• jennand

Yes, side effects don’t last long, not sure if I’ll get them with the 2nd one but hey ho, it is what it is

• frogmorton

If you do @jennand it is still worth it.👍️

My daughter had suspected covid at the beginning of all this (March last year) and wonder if that's why the reaction🤔

• jennand

It may well be Toni.

• JB_PSA
    JB_PSA Member Posts: 8

I am on 15mg of methotrexate and have psoriatic arthritis.

I was called to have the Oxford AstraZeneca jab on Wednesday afternoon. I woke up at 4.30am on Thursday morning feeling so cold and struggled to get warm. I had a restless sleep and woke up again at 8.30am with a splitting headache and fever. When I got out of bed I felt really achy and my arm was hurting. I also felt slightly dizzy and quite tired throughout the day. I couldn’t do much in the 24-36 hours after the jab.

I felt much better by Friday with minor joint / muscle aches and a really minor headache.

I haven’t had covid as have been shielding since last March but the vaccine really knocked me out for 48 hours. I spoke to some colleagues who have had covid and they said the after effects I suffered from the vaccine was similar to what they had experienced from covid for a month.

I took paracetamol through Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but not sure how much it helped.

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84

Side effects of ANY vaccination are unpredictable. Like you @JB_PSA I'm on methotrexate - 20mg weekly. I've rheumatoid arthritis. I had the Oxford AZ vaccination on Friday & am one of the lucky ones to have had no side effects whatsoever. And with it being almost 60 hours since I doubt if any will manifest themselves now.

Similarly with the annual flu jab I never have any side effects other than a bit of drowsiness while my wife always has a swollen & somewhat painful arm for a few days.

There's really no way of knowing how any individual will react but whatever the side effects they're far more preferable to contracting Covid.

• frogmorton

@JB_PSA

Well-done it's done now and I'm sure far better than getting the real thing and ending up potentially in hospital.

They reckon younger people are definitely getting worse side effects. So obviously i am dreading it😁

Seriously though I'm glad you have had yours.

I have to agree with you @scotleag anything has to be better that getting COVID badly!

• JB_PSA
    JB_PSA Member Posts: 8

Thanks all :) I am definitely glad I have been vaccinated rather than not - just a bit of a rough ride afterwards. I also heard younger people react to the vaccines worse and I am in my 30s so it may also be a factor. I had migraine like symptoms on Sunday morning (4 days after the jab) after feeling ok on Saturday. Never had such a bad headache but it wore off after a few hours.

Good luck all in getting your jab!

• Hi all , I had my first vaccination, Astra Zeneca, 5 days ago. I did feel generally unwell the following couple of days, extremely fatigued, sore throat and very achy all over but after resting the side effects eased.

• Geraldine
    Geraldine Member Posts: 18

Had the Oxford jab in the drive thru centre at Cardiff Football Stadium, drive in and out like ' grease lightning '. No side effects, and fingers crossed Wales NHS get their act together as my op's for two bilateral hips was çancelled the first day of the first Lockdown. 👎️

• pygarth
    pygarth Member Posts: 1
    edited 12. Feb 2021, 12:42

I had my jab last friday (astra) saturday and sunday i felt weird, really odd and also ached from my shoulders down. I have osteo arthritics in my left shoulder and spine, so the pain there was usual. I do however have severs Crohn`s disease and surgery over the years has left me with only a quarter of my small intestine, my immune system is seriously compromised and my 2/3 days of side effects were exactly as the Crohn`s society predicted. So yup with weakened immune systems you can expect a couple of days of side effects, but it`s surely worth it. Mick

• Aj_x

Hi @pygarth

Welcome to the Online Community Forum.

I am pleased you found the forum and have managed to reply to a message and help others with positive information.

I hope you are feeling better now after having your vaccination.

Hope you continue the positivity around the forum.

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• Nix110
    Nix110 Member Posts: 1

I ended up in hospital in the first lockdown and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis during my 6 day stay. Something that was so obvious although for months leading up to that professionals kept telling me I didn't have it! I am currently on 25mg Methotrexate per week, 20mg Hydroxychloroquine per day and steroids and things presently, thankfully are very settled.

I had to have the flu and pneumonia jabs a few months ago, jabs that I'd never had before and I felt so ill after. I was freezing cold, boiling hot, shivery, a terrible headache all over, all flu like symptoms really. I had the AstaZeneca jab on Tuesday and 11 hours after I had all the same symptoms again, It's now over 50 hours on and thankfully I am back to normal. Just hope jab number two will be a bit kinder to me!

Still, sooner all of that than covid!

• Aj_x

Afternoon Nix110

Firstly, welcome to the Online Community Forum. It is a pleasure to have you in our family.

I am pleased to read that things have finally settled.

I have attached a link from the Versus Arthritis website regarding Vaccines.

Vaccinations | Side-effects, protection and infection (versusarthritis.org)

Stay Safe

AJ_x

• I had my 1st vaccination, Pfizer yesterday. Had a slightly uncomfortable night last night and woke up this morning aching all over. I have been in bed most of today (Friday) and won't be long before I go back. I think you have to just 'ride it out' and if that means staying in bed for a day or a couple of days so be it.

• Hi @paulinest30,

Welcome to the online community! It’s lovely to have you here.

According to the Versus Arthritis website:

“The person giving you the vaccine will be able to let you know about any side effects that you can expect, and these may differ depending on which of the vaccines you have. It’s common to have some pain at the injection site following a vaccination.

If you have any adverse reactions to the vaccine, it’s important to tell a healthcare professional so they can report it to the Yellow Card Scheme. Anyone is free to use the scheme to report adverse reactions, but it’s still important to tell a healthcare professional if this happens to you.”

I hope your side-effects improve soon. All the same, it’s encouraging to see so many people getting the jab as each one takes us a step closer to normality!

In the meantime, I encourage you to make a post in the “Say Hello” forum and share how arthritis has touched your life. We have a very supportive community here and it’s nice to get to know each other and share experiences 😊

Best wishes,

Sarah (mod) x

• rosieqw
    rosieqw Member Posts: 1

I had the Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago, the only side effects I had were a sore arm and sore neck. I heard the more side effects you have the better it’s working, ( I’m 65) so I hope it will be effective for me . The nurse administering the vaccine one said that due to me taking Baricitinib the vaccine may not be as effective, still happy to have had it though.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Good Morning @rosieqw

Good to meet you and welcome you to the Online Community.

I see you have had your Pfizer Vaccination I am very pleased for you. The more of us who have it the better. Our members have reported varied side effects and many none at all like yourself.

Do please have a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable you are sure of a warm welcome from everyone.

Best wishes

Ellen

• frogmorton

I think it will have worked @rosieqw because a sore arm and neck are side effects. They reckon younger people and those who have already had the virus are getting them worse.

neither of those are me so when I have mine this afternoon I will be fine!!!

• LY_21
    LY_21 Member Posts: 4
    edited 17. Feb 2021, 12:42

Hi - had my Covid (Astra Zeneca) 5th February which is good news - flu-like symptoms for 24 hours and very slight soreness in finger joints. I have RA (and early onset of osteoarthritis in knee joint) currently on Hydroxychloroquine and Methotrexate (15 mg - about to go up to 20mg next week). The arm where I had the injection initially very red, swollen and warm/sore. This eased slightly re. redness a few days ago but still swollen. It has now gone red again - was in for blood test for tablet monitoring, mentioned this to the nurse who referred me to the Dr who has prescribed antibiotics as I have an infection. Hoping the infection clears quickly as I don't want to stop taking Methotrexate next week as I was responding well to this. Good luck to everyone having the jab as I will still be having the second one :-) x