Shocked 😳

Options
Brooky368
Brooky368 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi

Last June Iwas walking my dogs twice a day and had nearly finished couch to 5k. Then one evening I jumped up and my knee twisted and wrenched. Since then it has been painful. I rested etc but wouldn't get better. It kept giving way. I had virtual physio which I did religiously but followed same cycle of improving somewhat then giving way again. I realised about November it was not going to get better so got referred for an mri scan. Before I had results my knee gave way severely and I ended up in and e. At this point they dropped the bombshell my scan showed nothing but osteoarthritis. I am devastated as I have kept believing there must be something damaged. I am terrified that all the things I love I won’t be able to do again eg walking in Lake District. I don’t understand how I have literally gone overnight from fit and active to now struggling with pain and movement. It slips out of place and ‘locks’ and gives way regularly. I feel like an invalid all the time. I have an appointment on Friday with a consultant. Any advice in what to make sure I tell him or things to ask. Feeling so scared and disheartened. Help.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum @Brooky368. You have just been told that you have osteoarthritis and are naturally feeling devastated at the threat to your lifestyle. I was told on my diagnosis "Don't regret the things you can no longer do, but enjoy the things you can."

Here are some links to advice on our website:

When you go for your consultation, make a list so as not to forget anything. There is a tracker app available for IOs and Android that can help you create a diary, so you can se what helps and what to avoid. It is aimed at the under 25's, but have a look.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom (Moderator).

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi Brooky368

I fully understand I have DDD in my spine and neck, driving home from work I had to slam my brakes on due to an idiot car in front not looking what they were doing my neck hurt and by the time I got home I was in agony bed bound for over a week couldn’t lift right arm it’s now 13 weeks and am only just starting to feel some normality I’m used to the pain and headaches but nothing prepared me for this

Try not to feel so scared there’s lots the drs can do now just know your not alone in your journey with OA take care

Jona 😊

• Brooky368
    Options

That sounds bad glad you seeing some recovery now. Hope it continues for you. Thanks for your encouragement. 😊

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 4. Mar 2021, 18:34
    Options

Hi @Brooky368. sorry to hear you've joined the club. That happened to me too. Very keen and fit fell walker, fell on my backside, two weeks later, xray says "you need a new hip". I had no idea there was anything wrong with it before. A year later (thanks to the pandemic) all I can do is hobble round the supermarket using my stick before feeling totally exhausted and in pain for the next few days. So yes, it can happen to the fittest people and come from nowhere. STILL waiting for a new hip. NHS has imploded meanwhile.

If it makes you feel any better, my sister, who is super fit, has had both knees replaced and is back out on the fells and teaching aerobics. Her ex-rugby player husband also has a new knee, and ditto is fully mobile again, although they were brutal with themselves about doing the phsyio to maximise flexion post op.

Don't despair, this isn't the end, but the way things are going it may be a long road involving a lot of pain relief. Meanwhile replace everything you can't do at the moment with something else you enjoy, to try to stave off depression. Distraction is a great way to stop the pain grinding you down. I hope you're getting the medical support you need. Your current situation is the boring boggy bit in the fell walk, it's not the final destination.

• Brooky368
    Options

Im glad I found this forum good to know you are not alone x