walking boots

Options

I'm suffering from increasing pain in my ankles and feet. I take Naproxen all the time which helps a bit but I really want to be able to walk a lot more and am looking for advice on suitable footwear.. something with good ankle support. Any suggestions please.😊

Comments

• N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 161
    Options

Worth checking out a lot of the Gulf/Afghan military desert boots, lightweight but good ankle support, and cheap!

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Decathlon (available online) sell really good walking boots at wide range of prices. designed for comfort and walking rather then fashion. some nice designs which are good looking but all are designed to walk in unlike high street

• SylviaG
    SylviaG Member Posts: 3
    Options

Go outdoors offer a good quality walking boot service and listen to your needs - once they reopen. Also use hiking poles for extra support and confidence.

• MrsB
    MrsB Member Posts: 1
    edited 11. Mar 2021, 13:42
    Options

[****]- Women's Thermo Chill Mid Shell Waterproof - [****] £120.00

These boots have been an absolute godsend - not too heavy, great ankle support and really good instep support - so much so that they felt like my orthotic shoes when i first put them on. I bought them for trying to use on long walks, but I even choose to put them on for the supermarket run now! Not cheap, but worth every penny for the comfort and support.

[Mod edit to remove advertising details - Brynmor (Admin) ]

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @MrsB welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community. It's lovely to have you here.

Do tell us a little more about yourself and your experience with Arthritis. You are welcome to join in across the Community, ask questions, post advice or call in for a chat and say how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Orhtotics. Every time. They make such a difference for me. A number of sources - some podiatrists will offer them tailor made (but very expensive), a good physio can recommend some that are good for your specific gait/bone degeneration, or Superfeet (available on line or off the shelf in good outdoor shops) are really good, and were recommended to me by a marathon running rheumatologist.

• remmingtonwildhunter
    Options

I would go to a proper boot dept try before you buy not sure where you are but Keswick is very good i used George Fisher their boot dept is great staff know their onions i spent 2 hrs with a brilliant lady and got a pair of AEnergy GTX® Walking Boots as my ankles fused...

If its for normal walkingi have the Brashers they do a high boot or go to a running shop they have special machines to measure foot plant gaint etc and get them to make some insoles made...

Forget decathlon you will enjoy ypur walking more with proper boots...

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Give a thought to what you’re doing, it could well be you’re overdoing the exercise/work for your condition. The idea is that you accept the state of your body and only exercise up to your limits and then at a gentle pace as and when you can otherwise you’re making a bad situation worse. None of us is invincible, I doubt whether you’d be on this website unless you had an idea of what’s happening to you? Am I ringing a bell?

it’s a grin, honest!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

I have some skechers walking boots and some hotters ones because the bones in my feet like that comfort too.

so much choice!!!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Luckily I don't need to buy expensive boots for hobbling round on crutches and in my wheelchair!