PIP renewal

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone who has applied for their pip renewal and haven't been asked to attend an assessment either face to face or over the phone? My pip was due for renewal anyway but my condition worsened drastically this last year. We filled out the form and enclosed all my medical evidence from my consultant, nurses, gp and council (as I've had a stair lift installed and had my wet room adapted). I returned the form in Nov 2020. After a couple of chaser phone calls by my husband who was told its still with the assessors, I recently received a text from the dwp stating they've received the report from the assessors and will be in touch. Will I not be having an assessment then? Thank you for your time x

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

They are doing phone assessments at the moment due to the pandemic.

• Hi dippydoodah,

Thanks for posting on the helpline forum.

As Mike1 has said the assessments are being carried out over the telephone at the moment, with no face to face due to Covid-19.

The best people to contact would be the Citizens Advice, should you need further help with benefits, I have attached a link below to there website.

To the best of our knowledge if an assessment for PIP has already taken place this will continue to be processed. If an assessment has been scheduled, claimants will be contacted by the assessment provider to discuss how this will be taken forward.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350

I haven't been contacted about a telephone appointment tho. I have received a text saying they have my assessment report back and should get a decision in the next 6 weeks. I presume I just wait now? Thanks.

• Mike1

The DWP has announced that, “in line with the latest public health guidance and adhering to strict safety protocols”, it is to begin reintroducing face-to-face assessments for health and disability benefits. The DWP said that “Disabled claimants do not have the final say in whether they can be assessed on paper, by phone, by video or face-to-face. This is an assessment provider decision." If the DWP decides that a person has not had “good reason” not to attend an arranged face to face assessment then their claim can be closed. Many Disabled people who have been shielding as they are extremely clinically vulnerable may be reluctant to attend such an assessment at present, especially as contracts permit assessments to be held up to 90 minutes’ travel from a claimant’s home but the DWP have made no allowances for this.

• dippydoodah
    edited 3. Apr 2021, 10:37

Are you saying my claim may have been closed without even contacting me?? I was never contacted so that means I've not sent in enough evidence or something? I'm flippin anxious as ever now! I haven't refused to attend anything because they've not asked me to.

I sent in my claim form with much detail. Enclosed recent medical evidence and letters from the local OT and council about adaptations done and have a text many months later saying 'they have my assessment report back and will write with a decision'.

• Mike1

They will not cancel your claim without telling you, in your note you said that they would get back to you within 6 weeks which will take you to mid-May, if you have not heard anything nearer the date phone them up. If and when they agree your claim it will be backdated to the date that you applied.

• dippydoodah

I did have a paper based award. I was 'consistent' with my form and the medical evidence provided to back it up. I have been awarded enhanced living and mobility for 3 years. Thank you.