methotrexate

Options

I’m just about to turn 21 and female and have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. They are now trailing me on methotrexate.

I am terrified

all of the side affects and problems that can arise are so scary as I’ll be on these long term and don’t want to mess my system up even more. Please help

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hello @JadeV2000

I see that you are greatly concerned at the recent diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis and the prospect of the long term effects of the recommended treatment with methotrexate.

Firstly, you are not alone in either the condition or your reaction. You could contact the help line:

or review the following:

I hope you find this useful and you progress well. Let us know how you get on and stay hopeful and positive.

Tom

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 26. Mar 2021, 09:26
    Options

Dear Jade, I understand your anxiety concerning MTX, many people would. But it is a very safe and reliable drug and is used for even quite young children. Please talk to your rheumatologist about your fears. I've been taking it for 20 years now, and I have regular blood tests to monitor me. Guess what - no major dramas even though I have 4 autoimmune conditions and also had cancer at one point. The hope is that taking MTX once a week will improve your PSA considerably and if it doesn't, it will be changed. None of the drugs we have to take for our disease are nice. But I would rather take the drugs recommended than suffer the problems the disease can (and probably will) cause. All the very best to you, and when you reach my age (70) you will probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @JadeV2000

Lovely to meet you

I know MTX is a terrifying prospect when you read the leaflet, but as Kath says you will be looked after and for many of us it is almost a wonder drug. If you have side effects there are things they can do to mitigate them. Don't fear just go for it we will be here to support you.

Have you heard of Arthur's Place?

It really is worth a look.

Take care