Hello, I'm new here

BrummieLaura
BrummieLaura Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I'm 33 years old. I've recently had a misaligned jaw for which a dentist is helping me, and a painful middle finger which has been swollen at the middle joint. This week my ring finger did the same and I had to go to A&E for them to get my ring off as it has become stuck. While there i had an Xray which showed there is lots of swelling around the middle joint of 2 of my fingers, and a small swelling on the middle joint of a 3rd finger. The person who took my Xray and a nurse who looked at the images both said it looks like rheumatoloid arthritis. A dr who briefly saw me confirmed I have reynauds and said if it's arthritis my finger swelling will never go away and I should no longer wear rings. I am waiting for the xray images to be recieved by my GP. Should I be pushing for an appointment? The receptionists are saying I can't be seen by my GP until he gets the xrays, but I am worried this will take a long time and I should be getting help for the current pain and swelling.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 26. Mar 2021, 21:15

Hi @BrummieLaura

Welcome to the online community family,great to see you posting.

You have said that you have already been to A&E with swellings in your fingers and to have your ring removed because of this. You are currently waiting for results of Xrays taken on the day to confirm Rhumatoid Arthritis.

You want to know if you can get help in beyween times.You should be able to put an appointment with your GP to ask for help with pain there are painclinics that may be helpful most surgerys have a pain consultant or can send you to one.

Here are a few links that may help

Rheumatoid arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

How to get NHS help for your pain - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Hope one or more of these links will help.Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on,also do go to our forums and chat to others everyone has arthritis of some kind so will understand and try and help you.

Kepp safe and take care Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mini
    Mini Member Posts: 33

Hi & welcome 2 this forum , sorry to hear that your fingers are swollen my fingers have small bumps due to osteoarthritis which is different I know to Rheumatoid arthritis my hands do get painful I put a bit of sea salt in warm water and soak them in a bowl or sink for about 4 mins that helps and rub capsaicin cream into my joints and hands but not on my palms as it has 🌶 s in and if you touch your eyes it stings like mad I also mix black pepper essential oil with coconut oil together and rub into my hands , I have always had to wait for xray to come back before they give me results But only had a camera op last Tuesday and xray and appointment came this Monday got to go back 26th April for results so that’s not long at all also you can buy a squasshi ball ⚽️ Online that you squeeze in hand if not use a pair of socks and keep clenching in hand tight for about 4 times holding for about 10 -15 seconds that helps to hope you enjoy this forum 🤗😘😘

• Thank you. I'm using the sock exercise you suggested and its helping. This week Ive seen my dentists who thinks the jaw problems are the stress of the potential RA diagnosis, so he's making me a mouthguard to wear at night. Today I spoke to my GP and he is referring me to a rheumatologist. Pleased to be getting help.