What to expect ?

Options

Hi all, new to this OA malarkey, had GP appt this morning strongly suspects lumber spinal stenosis.

is arranging MRI, bloods and Physio.

wondering what are ppl’s living experiences with this condition and how disabling it may be. At the moment I use walking poles but feel I need something to sit on and carry my shopping. (Sitting down is the only thing that relieves my pain). I’m 64 , slim and walk everyday.

Can anyone relate ? Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• ChrisK
    ChrisK Member Posts: 37
    edited 12. Apr 2021, 11:56
    Options

Hello @Tezes

Welcome to our Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find the members are friendly, helpful and empathic. They will answer any of your queries/questions as they have found them in relation to their own condition.

There are many members on here who have Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis affects different people in different ways. Their pain can also vary, some can have no or very little pain others can have unbearable pain. I, myself, have had osteoarthritis for many years and I have adapted things I do to take into account my condition. Walking is very difficult for me but I use either a walker with 4 wheels and a basket or my mobility scooter. My walking has been made worse as I had a very badly broken ankle about 6 months ago, but I still manage to go out and also around the complex I live. Rather than going out for food shopping I order on line. There are many shopping trolleys on the market and it pays to shop around to find something suitable for you. There is one on which you can sit.

Versus Arthritis produces many booklets and factsheets on the various types of arthritis and its related conditions. Below are links which may help you. I have included a general osteoarthritis one and one that covers osteoarthritis of the spine.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the spine | Back pain | Versus Arthritis

Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Your MRI hopefully will determine which type of arthritis you have and physiotherapist will as give you exercises will be able to suggest ways to help you as regards to shopping and other gadgets that will help you.

It will be good to read your future posts and to hearing how you are progressing with your condition. Take care

Best wishes

ChrisK

• Tezes
    Tezes Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you for the warm welcome Chris, I’ve had osteoarthritis for many years in my spine but what I’m experiencing now is very different and lower down radiating into my buttocks and down the back of both legs to the back of the knees, my go tells me my symptoms are classic for stenosis.

ive adjusted to my original pain, I keep slim, wear flat footwear, try not to bend too much or lift anything heavy, I walk and do the physio exercises every day and thought I’d cracked it until this new pain started 4 months ago. I’ve started using walking poles they are supportive and keep my back straighter.

im glad to hear you are able to get out and about it’s no fun staying at home. I wish you well and will update when I can.

ill be interested to hear how others manage with this condition, thanks again. 😊