Getting more anxious

As restrictions are starting to relax this weekend I was looking forward to going the mile and a half to Marazion on my mobility scooter for a breath of fresh air and change of scenery HOWEVER Cornwall is already filling up with the majority of second home owners down here already. My sister works in an ASDA near a couple of holiday parks and says that the shop is extremely busy. I fear that come Monday we will be swamped with people down here like we were last time the lockdown ended. So instead of giving myself a breather from being stuck indoors, guess what, I am staying at home and not going anywhere even though I have had the jabs, I simply don't trust people not bringing the virus with them. Last time two thirds of the patients on the Covid ward at our only main hospital were from out of the County.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

We’re in the same position up here, I’m avoiding the hotspots till next year when foreign travel opens up again!

But I take the view that Covid will always be around, and the vaccination is the best protection we’re going to get. You can carry it, and pass it on, as a vaccinated person, (although I believe it’s less likely to be passed on by someone who’s vaccinated) but the jab means you just won’t end up in hospital with it. So even if you meet an unvaccinated person with Covid, you will end up as ill (or not) as if you caught it from someone who was vaccinated. Even when we’re all vaccinated, it will still be around just like flu, which can also sadly result in death for some, but we’ve learned to live with it.

We can’t all stay indoors forever, eventually we will have to get used to being out again. Stay masked up, sanitise your hands like mad, wash your hands as soon as you get home, even wipe down your purchases if it will help you feel safer (although I think the jury’s out on that one), and choose carefully where you go. It will feel odd, but maybe if you go out early in the day the streets will be quieter while the tourists sleep off their hangovers.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

They shouldn't be there until after 12th April Mike!

Same here though. My weekly treat as you know is my husband taking us for a drive through 'posh' coffee at the weekend and the car parks were full here yesterday! It's incredible😮. Hopefully it's just locals breaking free before it's really allowed.

I think we must take @Lilymary 's advice and get out albeit at less 'normal' times of the day. I have to bank some money. Now I have found out there is a cashpoint outside the bank I am going in a minute on a Sunday so I should meet no-one! Hopefully.

You deserve a life you really do I hope you will try some off-peak trips out.

I know there is only one hospital in Cornwall, but the vaccine is supposed to mean that most people don't need to be admitted. Watch the figures and take your own precautions.

Take care

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Well, that proves my anxiety is not false. Restrictions relaxed, sun comes out and so do the morons!! Perhaps a book should be compiled "Where's the Facemask" instead of "Where's Wally", except that people crowding together like this spreading the virus are all wallys!

• Lilymary

Oh no MIke, that's awful. Why do people think there's no covid in the countryside? It's not like the virus takes a holiday too. After the first lockdown was eased last year I saw pub tables in our village crammed with people, obviously not from the same household, no masks, like the whole thing was over. I wonder how many of them took a extra souvenirs home to their family and friends.

Just stay clear of the honey pots and busy times. It's going to be a rough year for those living in tourist destinations, but at least we're vaccinated now, and they'll all be back in Spain next year. Take care, and try to stay chilled. x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

There is less COVID in rural areas because it's less densely populated, but now looking at that pic it is very densely populated so I fear the consequences.

The minute the sun comes out people go mad🙄😕

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 12. Apr 2021, 06:15

So here we are, the 12th of April when non-essential shops, outdoor attractions and pubs serving outdoors open up. Just to justify my concerns on the news this morning there were films of a couple of pubs which opened at midnight with people quaffing lots of alcohol and, guess what, no social distancing. And people waiting outside shops for them to open either with no masks on or not being worn properly, i.e. noses not covered! Also crowds outside the church where the Royals gathered for a service following the passing of Phil the Greek with hardly a mask in sight and again no social distancing. Words fail me, well polite words anyway!!

• Lilymary

Not much we can do about this idiotic behaviour by others I'm afraid, except do all we can to keep OURSELVES safe. But it is maddening, I sympathise. And wait for the next lockdown when these idiots cause the next spike and get upset because the pubs are closed again. Not much joined up thinking going on, sadly. "There's no cure for stupid".