Worried about diagnosis

Options

I’ve been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knee , spine and hands and with PSA In my hands also I was diagnosed by mri and had xrays on my hands and was told I had PSA in one finger I had no blood tests to compare and I’m being started on Methotrexate injections 7.5 going up to 15 I’m worried that they have got it wrong and it’s just the osteoarthritis and I’m being put on drugs I shouldn’t be on

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Louie123,

Thank you for posting on the Helpline Forum. I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis (OA) and you have also now been told that you have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) in your hands.

It is understandable that you are concerned about being on Methotrexate if such a strong drug may not be required. Unlike standard painkillers, NSAIDs and steroids, Methotrexate is a Disease Modifying Anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) which helps to control the disease process itself, not just relieve symptoms. This is its advantage over other medications. However, a DMARD is only required if you have an auto-immune type of arthritis. This medication is not used to treat OA.

It sounds as if you need to get more clarification about your diagnosis and treatment from your healthcare professional.  It would be good to talk things through with your rheumatology nurse and/or GP who are aware of your individual clinical circumstances. We are not medically trained. I hope the information given below will be of some help.

You are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, weekdays 9am - 8pm, if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor