Just started swimming 🏊🏻‍♀️

I finally joined a hotel and spa ! So I’ve been swimming twice now and I feel so good !

I used to swim cycle and run regularly and since I’ve been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis I haven’t done any exercise I’ve been gradually letting things slide (actually way before I was diagnosed if I’m honest )

But I know swimming is less stress on the joints and this will help me get my muscles moving ! Which in turn will help support my joints !

so glad I’ve motivated myself to do it !!

Hope everyone is keeping well x

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Well done @Hairobsessed123

I am very impressed swimming is excellent exercise I can tell you already feel the benefit both physically and mentally 👍️

Best wishes

Ellen.

• @Ellen yes I feel the benefits already after only 2 swims !

first day after my first swim I did ache all over but I woke up today no aches !! I do love that your muscles have memory from previous exercise !

deffo recommend to anyone struggling x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I’m just post op, but looking forward to this eventually. It’s easy to let the rest of your body seize up just because one part of you isn’t working very well. I’m glad it’s working for you.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

How is it going @Hairobsessed123 ?

Are you still swimming and it is helping?

• Hi @frogmorton

i haven’t been this week ! Because I had my 2nd covid vaccine last Friday then I’ve been wiped out drs think it could be cus of my medication or cud be something else so I’ve just been taking it easy for a few days and just had some more bloods tests done fingers crossed it just the sulfasalazine it’s deffo working thou because my levels have gone down and I’m not aching as much as I was but he did say the medication whilst it’s working it can make me tired ! I’ll be back on it thou because I deffo felt the benefits of swimming 🏊🏻‍♀️ xx

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

I had my second dose yesterday and today I just feel like I've got the flu my whole body is aching so taking it easy. I'm also thinking about doing swimming and with what you have said it seems to be good for you

• Awwwe @Jewels thats a shame hope u feel better ASAP ! Yes I listen to my body now and don’t try to force myself if I’m tired there’s a reason for it ! Swimming has been very beneficial hope u enjoy going once u feel better xxx

• Jewels

Thanks hun 😊

• frogmorton

I reckon it will be the 2nd dose that's done it @Hairobsessed123

It's like you've got the flu and the younger you are it seems the worse it is 🙄

Next week you'll be back at it I'm sure and feeling safer too.

Great news the sulfa is helping I am so pleased🙂

@Jewels I hope you feel better soon ((()))

• Jewels

Thanks @frogmorton I don't feel to bad today thankfully at least I'm all done now until booster time lol 😁

• frogmorton

It's still worth it isn't it? No matter the side effects to feel so much safer🙂

• Jewels

Your right there @frogmorton I feel a bit less anxious about it now 😊

• Hi

i too let my exercise slide before my diagnosis of L knee OE and now inflammatory arthritis. I’d love to do some exercise as my fitness and muscle tone has totally gone. This inspired me to think about taking the plunge (excuse the pun) however as my left knee clicks constantly I’m concerned I’ll cause more issues. What stroke do you swim? I’m afraid of water so don’t do crawl yet can do breaststroke without freaking out. Does anyone have any tips? I’ve yet to start my medication as waiting for the 2 weeks post jab to pass.

happy weekend all

• Dannyt
    Dannyt Member Posts: 3

You could have been writing for me as we have the same condition and apathy towards exercise. I too was always physically fit and enjoyed lots of sports and this has declined over time so I am going to do something about it. If I am honest swimming has never really appealed to me as I get bored after ten minutes but I will give it a go and see what happens.

Yours Danny 😁

• frogmorton

@CreakyBear

I have always done a version on back stroke.....mainly because my neck can rest in the water and also, after my back operation I was told breast stroke wasn't great for my back. Not sure why I always presumed it was the fact you have to arch your back🤔

I think nowadays I might be one of those who just sort of walk up and down 😳

@Dannyt you might just love it!

• Hairobsessed123
    Hairobsessed123 Member Posts: 155
    edited 15. May 2021, 08:06

@Jewels @frogmorton

Turns out I have low vitamin D levels no wonder I’ve been feeling so rubbish !!

@Dannyt I do breast stroke just be careful with your legs thou I think doing that may hurt your knees you cud always do Breast strike but just use your legs like u wud doing the crawl ! X

• @CreakyBear i meant that comment if tagged Danny t for u my mistake x

• JaneM
    JaneM Member Posts: 5

Hi there - I've been swimming early morning at my local lido for a few weeks now and it makes a huge difference to my mobility. It ls hard to get moving first thing but I always feel better afterwards.

• Hi @JaneM, welcome to the online community! It's lovely to have you here participating in discussions. 

I'm glad to see that swimming has helped you. Exercises such as swimming and cycling can help to strengthen muscles without putting too much strain on the joints, which can be very beneficial for some people with arthritis. Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2020/october/why-is-swimming-good-for-people-with-arthritis/

I encourage you to make a post in "Say Hello" to introduce yourself and how arthritis has touched your life, if you would like to. It's good to talk :)

Best wishes, Sarah (mod)

• Jewels

Have you got some vit d tablets for it now @Hairobsessed123 I had to have them a couple of years back they do make you feel better hope you feel the benefit soon hun 🤞

• @Jewels

I have I went straight to the pharmacy and showed them my levels and I started them yesterday and I have a drs appointment in a couple of weeks I do hope I start feeling myself ASAP !

feel like I’m in a lot less pain (arthritis) but not feeling myself if that makes sense ?? Hahahah it’s a constant battle sometimes 😂

• Jewels

Oh yh I know where ur coming from hun for me yesterday was full of hot flushes and bouts of crying lol oh how I love peri menopause 😂 I'm going to start the swimming in a week once my second dose has covered me properly I'm hoping it will boost my mood as well as helping my bones xx

• Hahahah @Jewels im on Hrt patches as well ! Last year has been the worst 😂and there was me thinking life began at 40 !!! 😂

• Jewels

No such luck hun I've gone down hill lool I'm not on the hrt yet cos my bloods came back satisfactory so I'm doing it hardcore are they working for u? I took a diazepam last night and I feel a bit better today so gonna ring my gp tomorrow can't do it like this for very much longer I'll go off my nut 🤣 xx

• @Jewels they make a world of difference for me no more hot flushes that’s sure !! My blood tests always come back normal for hormones but I was presenting with peri menopause symptoms I insisted on having them no point in suffering x