Knee replavement

Hi I have just had a partial right knee replacement after suffering for over 4 years now. The operation took place on Monday 19/04/2021. A week in i am doing ok and controlling the pain. The strange thing i feel is my knee feels clunky when i move it or walk on my crutches. I was wondering if any other members have also had similar symptoms post op?

Kind regards

Chris

Comments

• Dear Chris

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. If you would like some comments from other people living with arthritis, you might want to post on the Living with arthritis forum instead.

I believe it's not unusual to find an artificial implant feels strange. Until your natural tissue has strengthened and adapted to the implant your movements may not be damped in the way you might be used. Many people report that they continue to adapt and improve for long periods post surgery.

If you'd like to email us at the Helpline, we have a great deal of information we can send you, depending on what you are interested in.

Surgery | Joint replacements and other operations (versusarthritis.org)

best wishes

Guy - Helpline Team

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 37

Thanks Guy that's great. Much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I’ve just had a new hip, and agree it feels really odd, and occasionally clunks, which is a bit disconcerting, I stepped badly coming down the stairs the other day, and swear I could feel the implant in my femur pressing inside one side of the bone, I’m assuming this will all wear off once the soft tissues heal and it all beds in. 🤞

• Chris

Thanks Lilymary that helps. I saw my physio today one week post op. Really nice lady and she said very similar things. I think i am ultra conscious of my knee implant because i have been in chronic pain for 5 years now, and have had 3 arthroscopies on the same knee. I so want to be pain free and mobile. Ths nurse said one week on i am doing great and i cannot feel the horrible grinding i have had for 5 years.

I hope you recover well and thanks again for your advice.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 27. Apr 2021, 18:32

My sister has two new knees, her husband one knee, the physio is punishing but utterly essential to a good outcome, so do as you’re told. My sister still teaches aerobics, horse rides, walks her dog and does fell walks. My BIL (Ex rugby player) is at the gym most days, and enjoys long walks and gardening. The early weeks and months may be tough, (worse than hips I’m told) but stick it out, you’ll get there.

• Chris

Thanks lilymary thats good to hear. I will stick to my physio and keep going. I did Kickboxing and grappling for 25 years so pretty good with discipline and exercise. My Colleague at work has had two new hips over the past 5 years and his recovery was great and yes i think knees are worse than hips but you are correct its so important to follow the physio . I hope your recovery goes well.

• Rosiepup
    Rosiepup Member Posts: 21

Hi Chris, I've had total knee replacements on both knees. Mine were both over 20 years ago, but I remember the clunky feeling! It does wear off as everything heals up. Keep going with the exercises, they are key to getting as much range of movement as possible. Best wishes for your recovery.

• Chris

Thanks Rosiepup that's reassuring just under two weeks post op now and moving a little better i was a little worried about the clunky feeling but my knee is swollen still so it's understandable . Taking my pain meds the doing my physio. I think because i have had pain in my knee for so long i am inpatient to be better. Hearing the experience of other people really helps.

Kind regards

Chris