Replacements

Options
colin67
colin67 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello all, had left knee replaced in 2017, left hip, then right knee done 2019, am now waiting to have my right hip done, very painful, but I'm getting a lot of pain in my right knee, do you think it's connected,

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @colin67 and welcome to the online community,

You’ve had a recent hip replacement operation and both knees replaced and you are currently in a lot of pain waiting for your second hip operation. That’s quite a lot to go through in two years. It’s difficult to know whether the pain you’re currently experiencing in your right knee is linked to the arthritis in your hip - it certainly could be since it is not uncommon for hip pain to radiate to your knee and sometimes to your ankle. It’s known as referred pain.

Other members may have personal experience of this and can share their advice, but meanwhile, you might like to look at the Versus Arthritis page on osteoarthritis of the hip, where it mentions referred pain and also suggests some self help treatments while you wait for your op.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

You have been through the wars, what a survivor. You may be right. If your right hip is painful you’ll be walking out of kilter to protect it, so that can affect your other joints. I’d suggest a trip to a physio for a proper assessment and some exercise to help you correct your posture.