New Look Online Community

Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 7. Feb 2023, 09:48 in News Archive

We are moving to a new look with the Online Community on Friday 30th April.

This will provide a cleaner layout on laptop and desktop computers with all the shortcut panels on the right of the screen. We will also be introducing some additional facilities over the next week or so that improve the Community, including a new Search facility and other enhancements.

The new theme also gives us more control over some aspects of how things look and access to the future developments of the platform as they become available.

Let us know what you think in the Comments 😃

Brynmor

Comments

• Brynmor

Friday 30th April

We will be moving to the new theme this morning. This will happen live!

The changeover should be quite short but things may look a little odd as different parts are turned on, and you catch a glimpse of a mixture of old and new settings.

If the whole thing goes wrong, or there's an unacceptable glitch, we will revert back to the current theme and try again once a fix is available.

😄

• Brynmor

Well, that seems to have gone OK. There is a small bug with listing the "Who's Online" whereby the first avatar doesn't line up with the rest but most other things seem to work as planned.

We will be looking closely at how things go and have some additional bits to add, but that appears to be a successful start for now 😎

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Like the “save draft” facility, useful for my usual epic ramblings

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

The "Mark all posts as read" button seems to have disappeared. I liked this facility as I always access posts through "Recent Posts" it was easy to mark things that I did not want to read so that whenever I next logged on I could instantly see new posts.

• Brynmor

The “Mark All Read” vanished for us as well, which makes moderation handover interesting!

We are talking to the service provider to fix this but I may have a temporary hack that I will be trying out in the next couple of days.

Any other “bugs” etc. please post and let us know. 😎

• Brynmor

OK, Members now have a new panel in the aside section that shows the following:

Click "Mark All Viewed" and a small notification box appears bottom left (laptop screens & above) to inform the action has been taken.

Once you click "Mark All Viewed" you need to refresh the screen / move to a new part of the Online Community to view the outcome and clear any "NEW" markers - clicking "Recent Posts" does just this.

This is a temporary hack until the service provider fixes the issue for us 😀

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25

Those are the best! 👍😊😊😊👌 I love a good rambling, otherwise I wouldn't know if others are human or robots! 😂

• Mike1

It works!! Thanks

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

@Flycatcher , we’re really in trouble if even the bots have got arthritis!

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25

Arthritis doesn't discriminate, anyone can get it! 😂😕

• Mike1

I see the "Mark all as viewed" button has disappeared again!

• Brynmor

Thanks @Mike1 for the heads-up. The version of the Extra Links box used by the Mods and Admin has also vanished, all a casualty of the latest update rolled out by the service provider. I will be working on this tomorrow along with a couple of other issues the update has caused.