Pa

My daughter was told she had this condition on psoriatic Thursday she is only 17. I am very scared for her I have read all sorts and don't know what to do. She is worried as has had pain in both knees with swelling since Dec. Had fluid draining a few weeks ago and steriod injections which as helped. I have read loads of bad news regarding this disease and what other things it can cause. I want her to enjoy her life but I am just so scared for her as I only see bad stuff.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Cherylk  

Your daughter being diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis at such a young age must be devastating news for both her and you. I hope that input from forum members who have experience of this condition can provide you with some comfort as to what the future holds for your daughter. 

If you haven’t already visited our website you may find browsing the following links useful as they include living with psoriatic arthritis, research and new developments plus an article written by someone who was similarly diagnosed at the age of 23:

The forum is the perfect place to come to share your concerns and to receive reassurance and advice from others who have been in a similar position.  

I hope you receive some beneficial feedback. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Cherylk
    Cherylk Member Posts: 3

Thank you we both just feel numb really don't know what to expect

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85

Hi @Cherylk, just wanted to send you some support as I know you must be feeling worried about your daughter’s diagnosis. I was diagnosed with RA at age 19 - many years ago - and although I didn’t really understand it ( the blessings of being young and naive), I too felt numb for quite a while because it was so hard to take in all at once. I did wonder what the future would bring, but if it gives you any comfort, I’ve led a very happy, fulfilled life. I completed university; had a fulfilling and rewarding career ; met and married a good man and had two lovely daughters. My Mum has always been there for me, and it sounds like you’ll be there for your daughter when she needs you. My journey has been different to how I imagined but in some ways even better.

Medication and surgery has improved so much since I was young too - if I can give you one piece of advice it’s to try and work with your Rheumatologist and keep asking questions. This forum is very supportive too - lots of kind people with good advice.

Warmest wishes to you and your daughter - she has a head start with a supportive Mum like you.

Rina xxx