Financial implications of arthritis

A little background, I cared for Dad for 10 years with multiple severe health problems. I mainly did the care but there were several periods when I needed professional carers to help me support dad and over the years Dad used up many thousands of pounds on funding care for himself.

Once probate was sorted I inherited half the family house where I live and a lump sum which would take me over the threshold to qualify for free care or benefits but not enough to buy my property outright.

My health has been declining since Dad passed 3 years ago and I have been keeping things going with lodgers and part time work. This brings me to my question.

I have recently changed job and tried to up my hours and have just finished 2 weeks at work doing over 30 hours a week. This weekend I feel I can barely walk, even my good hip is hurting more than my bad hip which I am due to see consultant about and my knees have forgotten what bending is. I'm already on Naproxen and Cococdamol. GP prescribed extra codeine but this would knock me out for work.

Leading on to the question, if I keep the house and find I have to use up savings for care later on , I won't be able to afford to move. If I look to move in the next couple of years and use my savings towards a smaller affordable place, would the DWP perceive this to be deprivation of capitol?

It seems I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

This is a complicated one Henrietta, and I would suggest you get financial advice, preferably from someone who knows how the DWP systems work. The Citizens Advice Bureau may be a good place to start.

i’m sorry to hear how you’re having to struggle on with your arthritis. Would it be possible for your employer to make your life a bit easier by adapting how you do things? Have you seen a physio to see if an exercise programme might help you? I hope your consultation re your hip goes well. You may find your good hip settles down a bit once the worst one is sorted.

• Hi Henrietta,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, I am so sorry to hear that you condition is causing you so much pain, it may be worth speaking to your doctor about a medication review, physiotherapy, or pain management clinic, pain clinics offer a wide range of treatments and support. They aim to support you in developing self-help skills to control and help to relieve your pain.

As Lilymay has said getting professional advice about your currant situation would be advisable, start with the Citizen advise and if they cannot help, I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Also speak to your employer about the possibly of reducing your hours if you are finding the hours that you are doing difficult. Having arthritis or joint pain can pose some challenges, however work is feasible for most people with the right support from their employers, this can be in the form of reasonable adjustments, which can be:

Changing or modifying tasks.

Altering work patterns.

Provide special equipment.

Allow time off for appointments.

I really hope that the attached link below will hopefully help you in the future.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Henrietta
    Henrietta Member Posts: 44

Thanks, I can't ask for too much from employer, I'm only agency and only there for a few weeks- if I last that long. Think I will drop down to a couple of days for now.