numb fingerpain

Options

Hi not been on for some time except to see any new ideas, but now I have a question and it is, about 3 months ago I stared to feel a little numbness in my left hand index finger and while I was having an injection in my knee I mentioned it to the Dr and he gave me co-codamol, didn't help, a week later I went back as I had a bad rash down my left arm given cream didn't work, saw another Dr who said it could be shingles and since it not gone elsewhere to let it take its course, its almost gone now. During the last 3 months one of the Drs who said it was Arthritis sent me to see a Rheumatologist had both my hand and feet x-rayed and booked me in for a scan on the hand waiting over 3 weeks so far, now my my index finger is dead and my thumb and second are following. Now can I ask if anyone with arthritis in the hand has suffered with numbness, and though the index finger and the one next to are dead I still have sharp pains 24/7. help please

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Celtic, welcome back to our forum and thank you for sharing your experience, I’m sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with numbness in your fingers.

Numbness in the fingers and hands can sometimes be due to a related condition called carpal tunnel syndrome which sometimes can develop as a result of osteoarthritis of the wrist. This is where a nerve to the hand is squeezed by swelling in the wrist joint or in the tendons next to the nerve. This can cause weakness, numbness or pins and needles in the hand. It can also cause pain, especially at night.

The x-rays should hopefully give some more information on what is causing the numbness, and I would encourage you to visit your GP again to discuss ways to help manage the numbness and pain. In the meantime, I wanted to signpost you to some more information on how arthritis in the hands can affect you, and more information on carpal tunnel syndrome too which are in the links below.

I hope this helps, and always feel free to either write back, or call our helpline on 0800 5200 520 (9am-6pm, Mon-Fri) if you have any more questions.

Best wishes, Jack - Helpline Advisor

• celtic
    celtic Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi Jack thanks for your reply, I have mentioned to Drs about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and they have said it isn't even before the x-ray was done, now the Rheumatologist has written me today to say there is Osteoarthritic changes in my joints with more advanced changes in my left hand and is waiting on my having a scan so I have to wait on that. will now go to the sites you suggest and learn more. thanks again Celtic

• celtic
    celtic Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hi Jack back once more to say I have seen several Drs, and a Rheumatologist, who have all said I do not have Carpel tunnel, have had an injection in my knuckle which did no good what's so ever, and now have been given a phone consultation with another department that deals with Carpel tunnel, even if they agree with me that it is such it's a bit late as I am going in to hospital on 16th Sept for a Knee replacement ( after being on the bed with knee marked up and twice sent back home over the last 4 years due to heart problems ) but know I have a pacemaker fitted the Op is going ahead, so now I cant have hand done as I will have to use crutches for 6 weeks, I couldn't if my hand is cut, also I may have trouble doing so with the pain in my hand as it is. I hope anyone that may have been refused as I was due to heart problems can take comfort if they to have been offered a Pacemaker it will make a big difference. Will let you know if and when they diagnose if it is Carpel Tunnel . Stay safe