osteoarthritis in neck

Margaret88
Margaret88 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I've had osteoarthritis in my neck for thirty years and I find coping with the pain in summer can be really hard. I had a bad flare-up a couple of weeks ago. I wonder are there other people who suffer more in the summer months. Gill

Comments

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Margaret,

This heat must bu causing you agony I have arthritis in the spine and cervical spondylosis I use heat wraps in the winter and cold wraps in the summer I also have a tens machine that bought from Amazon it sticks on and I find thieve help,

Take care

love Jona ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜Š

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113

I always thought winter was the time for flare ups, too. But no, this weather really gets to me. I suppose the extra heat doesn't help any inflammation there is.

• Hello @Margaret88 and welcome to our wonderful community! I'm unsure whether you have only recently joined us but you have come to the right place!

I absolutely agree that the heat can also cause flare ups (drawing from personal experience) and have also looking for some tips myself. I have had some cooling gel recommended to me but am yet to try it so can't personally recommend it.

There are a couple of tips here in coping with a flare up that may help:

Interestingly, they mention filling a hot water bottle with cold water, something that I've never thought of!

I'm sure many of our member also have some sound advice or tips that they would be willing to share, so hang in there and keep talking to us!

Sarah

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Sorry I was typing with my knuckles as my fingers arenโ€™t working today so my apologies for the spelling mistakes ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ’

• Thanks. That's really helpful. What I find very hard is that, when the arthritis flares, I find it very difficult to motivate myself to do anything. I'm working hard, though, to stop judging myself so harshly, when really what I need is to take care and be kind to myself. I always remind myself that, in the 30 years I've had ankylosing spondylitis, it has worsened but not that much. I do exercises most days and make sure I get out and walk. I've reached out to Versus Arthritis community this time because I'm feeling rather defeated by the pain. But tomorrow is another day, to use the old cliche! Thank you for your kind responses.