Car Recommendations

Kaz23
Kaz23 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I’m new here so please be gentle! I have osteoarthritis in my left hip, it’s pretty bad and I’m finding getting in and out of the car and driving very painful. I am going to change my car for an automatic as I think that will help. Has anyone got any recommendations of a make/model that they’ve found easier to get in and out of? I think a low step in and higher seating position will be beneficial but I’m not sure and don’t really know where to start!

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Welcome to the forum, @Kaz23. We aim to be gentle and supportive, so you are safe hands. I always swing both legs out of the car before assuming (vaguely) vertical posture. I have also found from a life on the road, that stopping regularly for a brief walk helps. I have found this on our website, but I expect you are already aware of this:

I am afraid that I cannot give recommendations on specific cars, but I expect that our members may have views. I suggest that you make sure you take a decent test drive.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Go to a garage and try a few different models out! I would suggest that you find one where the driver's seat is level with you bum so that it is easier to slide in and out. You may also find that getting a swivel pad to go on the seat will help as well.

• Kaz23
    Kaz23 Member Posts: 3

Thank you @Mike1 I’ve been wondering about getting a swivel cushion. I’ll give that a try.