Octave Study Results

Where will the Octave Study results be published? Thank you.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Breathless

than you for asking about this very interesting study, I have asked one of our research team to let me know and I will report back to you when I have news.

Best Wishes

Sharon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

"OCTAVE is a multicentre observational study in Glasgow, which is evaluating immune (including antibody and T cell) responses in patients with a range of chronic rheumatic conditions on specific immunomodulatory (steroids, MTX and biologic) treatments. These patients were largely excluded from previous COVID-19 vaccine studies. It is expected data from this study will be published in late August or September."

https://www.rheumatology.org.uk/practice-quality/covid-19-guidance

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Breathless

I have spoken to Mat in the research team and the results will be coming out early next year. We will be sure to keep you updated. The update is likely to be posted on this page

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Stephd
    Stephd Member Posts: 8

i recently did an antibody test which revealed that I had no antibodies. But a disclaimer was attached to the result saying that this antibody test was only for antibodies as a result of infection and NOT from the vaccine. Can you please explain what the difference is please as to my mind no antibodies mean no immunity?

• stickywicket

The immune system is very complex.

There are two antibody tests for covid. One tests for antibodies due to having had covid and the other for antibodies due to having had the vaccines.

But if, like me, you are on immunosuppresants, this is what I'd be basing my actions on from Johns Hopkins University in USA

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/covid-19-vaccines-and-immunocompromised-people-fully-vaccinated-and-not-protected.html 

The relevant part is here:

"What we can measure right now are antibodies. But the antibodies are the tip of the immunologic iceberg, and a lot is going on under the surface that we cannot measure. It is possible that you could have a lot of antibodies but still have a blunted T cell response, for example. You need both of them to mount a protective response against the virus. In most people, antibodies would be a good surrogate because the antibodies, B cells, and T cells are all tied together. But in people who take medication that blocks certain aspects of the immune system, this can be uncoupled. You can have intact B cell response, but your T cell response is totally blunted. With no T-cell response, there is no protection."

Steven Wright
  • MDA85
    MDA85 Member Posts: 2

Hi,

To clarify on the Octave results, my understanding was the full results will be published next year, but interim results should be coming any day now. Would you be able to get an update on when we might see any preliminary results/preprint papers? A lot of people are waiting on these results, so an update would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @MDA85 welcome to the Online Community.

You are correct in understanding that the full results of the Octave trial are due to be published next year. We have no information here at the Online Community about the publication date for interim results but do keep a watch on the page Studying the immune response to COVID-19 vaccines: OCTAVE study (versusarthritis.org)

Do join in across the Community, give support and say how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Rosiepup
    Rosiepup Member Posts: 21

Here is some more info about the Octave Duo Extension study mentioned in the first article in the previous post:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-study-to-test-third-covid-19-vaccine-for-people-with-weakened-immune-systems

• stickywicket

Thank you very much for this, Rosiepup.

Steven Wright
  • Wendolyn1
    Wendolyn1 Member Posts: 13

Hi Rosiepup,

THANK YOU very much for making us all aware on here of the latest news/results from the Octave trial, it is much appreciated. I for one have been waiting keenly to see what results were brought to light, as I am sure a lot of people have been. We have all been waiting in limbo really to see where we stand with the efficacy of the vaccines being immunocompromised. The uncertainty of everything speaking for myself has caused me a lot of anxiety and worry, so lets hope the booster jabs get the ok to be issued now as soon as possible, alongside any other medical treatments that may help too. Hopefully sooner rather than later we will be able to get on with our lives again and have a bit more confidence in doing so

I hope that Versus Arthritis do a news article on the interim results of the Octave Study etc and publish it on here so that everyone can see these latest results. I'm sure there are a lot of people waiting to know.

Kind regards to everyone

Wendy xx

• stickywicket
    Steven Wright
  • Wendolyn1
    Wendolyn1 Member Posts: 13

Thank you for posting this information Stickywicket, it is an interesting read. if you happen to dig up any other articles etc about the Octave Trial or anything else you think is relevant would you mind posting them on here as well. I hope you don't think I am being too cheeky in asking you. You always seem a mind of information about all sorts of things from your other posts I have read on this site.

As I said in my previous message I am finding the uncertainty, with not knowing what immunity I might actually have being immunocompromised, due to the medication I take for my RA, difficult to deal with sometimes, as I'm sure others do too. I shall watch keenly for any future developments now that we have had some interim results in for the "powers that be" to look at and digest.

Thank you again,

Wendy xx

• stickywicket

Not at all cheeky. We're here to help each other as we're all in the same boat. I shall keep looking for info and posting any I find. I think the last link might gather more comments over time so I shall keep going back to it. Stay safe.

Steven Wright
  • Rhomac
    Rhomac Member Posts: 3

I've just read the paper and sorry for my ignorance but I feel none the wiser. Can anyone explain in plain language whether the vaccine gives us similar protection to those who aren't immunosuppressed?

• stickywicket

I don't think anyone can say that. My understanding is that, depending on why we are immunosuppressed and which medications we take and whether or not we have taken up the 4th jab, some of us might have as much protection as the rest of the fully jabbed world. Others might still have none.

I can't see why employers could not be told that immunosuppressed people should still be allowed to work from home.

Steven Wright