Methotrexate

Options

Hi, I started on Methotrexate in March for Psa, I then started Amgevita in June. This is the best I've felt but in the last 6 weeks my liver results have gone really high after being low since March. I've to stop methotrexate to see if this makes a difference. Will I now need to change medication and will my pain and stiffness return?.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hi @Agee ,

I see you've posted your message to the Helpline. I'm sure they'll respond shortly, but while you're waiting I thought I'd give you a warm welcome to the online community.

I see you have recently stopped taking methotrexate for PSA to find out if this makes any difference to your high liver results. You might be interested to read the Versus Arthritis information page on PSA. If you scroll down to the 'Treatment' section, you'll see that there are many different treatments for PSA, including Methotrexate. Sometimes you have to try out a few before you find one which one suits your body best.

All our members are living with arthritis in some way and are really helpful and supportive. If you want to chat, ask about other people's experiences or just browse through the different forums to have a read, then please do so, and join in wherever you feel comfortable,

Best wishes, Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Agee

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about your medication for PsA. I’m pleased you are starting to feel good and understand how concerned you must be about your symptoms of pain and stiffness returning now you have been advised to stop the methotrexate.

Thank you to Anna for providing the link to PsA and the treatment options. As she says, sometimes you have to try out a few before you find one which one suits your body best. Your rheumatologist is following a pathway to get the right medication, or combination of medications, that works to bring your condition under control without unwanted side-effects. It may be the Amgevita (Adalimumab) is sufficient on it’s own to do this.

Most people start to feel better over a period of 2–12 weeks on Adalimumab. It sounds like that is the case with you but, as we’re not medically trained on the helpline, I can’t advise. Your rheumatology team will be monitoring you closely and will work with you to identify the next step. If the methotrexate isn’t suitable for you, they may offer another conventional DMARD. In the meantime, should your symptoms return, you can follow our treatment and self-management information on the link Anna sent. Remember to check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medications. And remember to mention you’re on adalimumab if you’re treated by anyone other than your usual rheumatology team. You can carry on taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) or painkillers if needed, unless your doctor advises otherwise. Don’t take over the counter preparations or herbal remedies without discussing this first with your doctor or pharmacist as some of them could react badly with adalimumab.

You can find out more about methotrexate and other treatments on the DMARD pathway below, but the specific treatment options for PsA are listed on the condition information mentioned above. You may also wish to contact the Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance (PAPAA).

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team