Work and arthritis

Options

hi I’m michelle and 41 years old I have moderate to severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and mild osteoarthritis in my right hip I am currently on the waiting list to for a hip replacement for my left hip,I work 30 hours a week 4 eight hour shifts and I’m struggling,I had a steroid injection done on Monday 29th nov I rested all week and it was all good not much pain and went back to work on Sunday 5th dec and I came home and cried where I was in so much pain again,am I better off just not working and applying for universal credit I live with my partner and we have 2 young children thank you

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello@MichelleNeads123 and welcome to the online community,

You have mild to moderate arthritis in your hips and are on the waiting list for a hip replacement. Due to increasing pain you have been given a steroid injection which seemed to help but on returning to work you are struggling with the pain. You’re wondering if it would be better off not working.

It seems you have some decisions to make, and you have made a good start by posting on the forum. Many of our members have experienced similar situations to you and I’m sure will share with you their experiences and suggestions. Versus Arthritis has also got a good page on work which outlines your rights in the workplace, suggests ways that your workplace can help you and also looks at the pros and cons of giving up work. Remember that you have options and rights at work and, under the 2010 Equality Act, your employer has a duty to look at ways of supporting you. Here’s the link to the page - it’s very thorough and may help you make the best decision for you and your family.

Good Luck, and do let us know how you’re getting on.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm