Pain relief

Options

One of my cats has arthritis and won't take the medication. The vet told me recently about a new kind of pain relief which just involves an injection once a month. After a couple of days I could see how much better she was. She is 19 and very creaky but she has started going out in the garden again and has stopped frequently changing position trying to get comfortable.

The injection is of Solensia and when I jokingly asked the vet to inject me too, he said he thought it was developed from drug for humans. Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94
    Options

Hi @sneezwife

Welcome to our online community, and thank you very much for seeking our help.

You are asking about a medication that has been given to you cat for arthritis and how it might relate to pain relief for people with arthritis. You don't say that you have some form of arthritis yourself, but I'm assuming you might have?

I have checked online and find that Solensia is one of a class of drugs called monoclonal antibodies that are used for treating a range of autoimmune diseases in humans and animals including some kinds of inflammatory arthritis in people, for example - rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis. They are not used for treating all forms of arthritis and they are not strictly painkillers. They can reduce the severity of some kinds of more severe arthritis, which in turn results in a reduction of inflammation and pain.

Here is some information about the use of monoclonal antibodies and other related drugs (together they are referred to as biologic or anti-TNF drugs) -

If you have arthritis it is worth checking what sort you have, and if causes you a lot of pain ask your GP (or rheumatologist) if a change in treatment would help reduce your symptoms.

I hope this information helps clarify what is a very tricky topic.

I hope both you and you cat remain well and pain free. Please keep in touch and ask if we can help in any other way.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues