Hi

Chintah
Chintah Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi im new to this forum, i guess i came on for advice really, i am 57yrs old and have OA in most joints.

I had a right knee replaced in 2018 which i found very traumatic and just as i was rerurning to work 2019 i fell and badly ruptured my rotator cuff muscles in my right shoulder resulting in an operation.

I am left with reduced flexion in my right knee so cant walk down stairs properly and reduced movement, grip, strength in my dominant right arm.

Recently my left knee has been very painful...doesnt like to be straight and as i lunge to the left side when walking it is causing awful pain in my degenerating lumbar spine.

I dont feel i could go through another knee replacement as probably wouldnt get downstairs at all lol.

I am wondering when i will know the time is to use a crutch...i dont think i could use a walking stick.

I have arranged a physio appointment re knee in Jan so am guessing they will advise me...just struggling so much at the minute and am upset at how little i can do ..walking wise.

Any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Chintah and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have OA and that have had a right knee replaced and that you may need the left knee replacing as well, and that this is causing you concerns on mobility. I do hope that the physio can help you with this.

Our website has a lot of useful information and a good search facility and we also have a Helpline team who, though not medical personnel, can often offer help and advice. I've put a couple of links in below which may help get you started.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you and share their experience and support as well. I hope it goes well for you.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Hi,

As someone who has had RA and OA for years and had several joints replaced and made tons of lifestyle adjustments, I'll just suggest three things that you might not feel ready for but are worth bearing in mind.

1. A rollator. They really do enable us to walk more upright and in a more balanced way, if used correctly.
    2. A stairlift.
    3. A bungalow.

I've done two of the three and never, for one moment, regretted the decisions. I toyed with a stairlift but the bungalow won the day.

The physio should be able to help but do, also, consider advice from an occupational therapist. They will come to your house to suggest modifications. You can self-refer by going to your local council website and looking for Adult Social Care.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright