Hip arthritis

Maralena
Maralena Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi, thank you for allowing me to join you, I have hip arthritis, it's suddenly flared up with bad nawing pain all down my leg and foot, keepsme awake, I do have a first time steroid injection soon, could this help and why is this happening, it's so disabling, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Maralena firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have arthritis of the hip and struggling with additional pain down your leg. You are waiting for a steroid injection, which hopefully will help ease the pain.

Are you able to confirm what type of arthritis it is OA or RA? This would help me point you to the the best places for help.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some that could help, linked to as a starter to information on hip pain, OA of the hip and steroid injections.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Maralena
    Maralena Member Posts: 3

Thank you so much for your help, yes I have osteoarthritis of the hip

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Maralena, sorry to hear you’re in so much pain. Before my hip replacement I used to find the referred pain down my leg could be as bad as the pain in the joint. Overdoing it would make it worse, but sometimes it just flared up anyway, and the pains could strike when lying or sitting perfectly still, and often woke me up at night.

I found dosing myself up on pain relief before I went to bed helped a bit, and propping my body up on cushions so that my hip was in the most comfortable was also good. For me, I sleep on my right side or on my front, which flexed my left hip badly, so I kept a cushion under my left hip and another under my left foot so the leg was flexed really helped. Experiment and see what works for you.

when you have a flare up, try to rest your hip as much as you can. If you don’t already, use a stick or crutch to take the strain off your hip, and maybe review your pain medications with your GP.

You may find some of the tips in this link helpful - mindfulness and distraction worked really well for me (ie taking your focus away from the pain so it fades into the background) , and relaxation techniques or gentle stretching exercises to stop your entire body tensing up also helped.

I hope your steroid injection works for you. Let us know how you get on.