Osteoarthritis question

Options

Hi, I’m 47 and have been suffering from Osteoarthritis for a few years. I had a medial partial left knee replacement 4 years ago as I was bone on bone. I also have OA in base of thumbs. I have had right hip pain for the last year but I’ve been told it’s only moderate osteoarthritis. I also have a labral tear and synovitis in same hip. I also have severe pain in the lateral part right knee which I’m told is directly related to my hip pain. The nhs have offered me a cortisone injection as they say my hip isn’t bad enough for a replacement. I don’t understand this as it’s far more painful than my knee was when bone on bone. I struggle to get up from the toilet, walk for any length of time. My life is no longer what it was. I used to run and now struggle to walk my dog.

I don’t know what to do. I know that OA doesn’t spread but it’s strange how it has hit several parts of my body. What do I do next and how do I help myself?

thanks

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94
    Options

Hi @Sam1974

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community and thank you for seeking our support.

I understand that you have had osteoarthritis in your left knee (with a partial knee replacement) and your thumbs. You have also more recently developed OA in your right hip which also leads to pain in your right knee. You have been told that the OA in your hip is moderately severe but that it does not warrant a hip replacement at present, and you have been offered a steroid injection to help with the symptoms. You are now experiencing a significant amount of pain that is limiting your ability to do everyday things, and feel frustrated and confused by your pattern of OA and the limitations it is placing on your life.

I have linked to the Versus Arthritis page on osteoarthritis of the hip -

and also a page called "What helps hip pain?" -

You will see from both these pages that the main recommendation for reducing pain and loss of function and mobility is to exercise regularly. I too have osteoarthritis of the hip and have found that exercising every day – both "formal" exercises and simply taking a walk - help to cut down the pain considerably and ensure that I don't stiffen up and lose movement. I have also had a number of steroid injections in various joints, and have found them to be extremely helpful both for immediate pain relief, but also longer term in that they allow me to exercise to build up muscle strength around the joint.

I empathise with your frustration and confusion – osteoarthritis is a frustrating and confusing condition – but as you will see, looking through the posts on this online community a great many people lead fulfilling lives despite very considerable difficulties caused by their various arthritic conditions.

I do hope that this is helpful and that you find a way of living with and overcoming the problems that OA brings in its wake. Please come back regularly and let us know how you are getting on.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Sam1974

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you are in so much pain and that it’s having such an impact on your quality of life.

Thanks to ToneBlues for providing the links, I hope you found them helpful for helping you find your way through the self-management and treatment options.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. We can explore your situation with you more fully and may be able to offer solutions for moving forward that are more tailored for you. I do hope you will give us a call.  

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team