Covid and OA

Just wondering if anyone else out there, has OA and has also fallen victim to Covid? I am almost at the end of my isolation and have been quite poorly with blinding headache, nausea, fatigue and a sore throat. I have a lot of pain in my hips with the OA ordinarily, but I'm wondering if Covid makes the pains worse? I seem to be in more pain than usual when walking and have difficulty getting comfortable when sitting. Am I alone in this?

Comments

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@Whiskey26 Hi, did your OA start with RA? If so then yes, everytime your immune sys goes to war as a result of infection or a vaccine it will also go to war on any pre-existing inflammatory condition ie inflammatory arthritis like RA. I got this with my vaccination and the rheumy consultant (nhs & private) advised that flares are common with any immune stimulation such as above. The immune sys signal to go to war is not tightly focused on just one antigen, all active simmering inflammatory conditions get fired up.

•  Hi @Whiskey26

Thank you for posting on the forum, I’m so sorry to hear how poorly you have been with Covid and hope you feel better soon. From what I am aware there is no evidence that Covid can make your OA pains worse, though everyone is different and may experience varying symptoms.

You might like to talk to your GP about your pain and see if they can advise you on medications that might be helpful for you. I have given you a link to our hip pain and Covid information which might be of interest to you.

For the experience of others, you might like to repost on the ‘living with arthritis’ forum, where you will get more responses.

You are very welcome to call our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 6pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in more detail which might be useful for you.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team