Question regarding physiotherapy

Hi there - I have a badly inflamed knee and am in extreme pain and can’t walk. My X-rays show osteoarthritis. I have been referred to a physiotherapist. I do not understand how manipulation and possible exercise will improve my inflammation or decrease my pain. Could you explain if a physiotherapist can help and how they could improve my bad situation?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 739

Hello @Clazza59, welcome to the online community,

You have an inflamed, extremely painful knee which makes walking difficult. It has been suggested that a physiotherapist will help your situation. Many of us who have arthritis try to include some form of exercise in our daily routine and I personally feel the benefit of this because it has increased my mobility and lifted my mood. I hope the same will happen for you when you do get to see the physiotherapist but meanwhile I attach some links which I hope will be helpful.

There are a number of exercise videos on the site which members have enjoyed. Just being able to do as much or as little as we can manage gradually increases our flexibility and motivation . This may also help you in your physio consultation when you explain what works/doesn't work/is too painful etc.

The Helpline is open Monday - Friday 9.00 - 6.00 if you want to ask questions after you have had time to look at the information above.

Do join us again and browse the discussions and activities, we are a safe place to share your concerns and experiences. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 111

The point of the physiotherapist is to advise exercises to strengthen muscles around knee and this reduces stress on the joint and consequently reduces pain. Keeping active and keeping muscles as strong as possible is also invaluable if you have to have surgery. It reduces recovery time and improves mobility. I have osteoarthritis in both knees in addition to my recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. When I saw the physiotherapist recently because of RA, she was surprised how much mobility I still have in my knees and said it was due to exercise. It isn't easy and it does hurt sometimes, but it's well worth persevering. Try to look at it positively and I'm sure you'll feel the benefit. Good luck !

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I agree with the comments above. I would add you need to stick with it, as it takes several months to kick in, but it really is worth it. Dom’t give up after a week if you feel no different

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have been referred to physio three times over the years and on each occasion they have stated that there is nothing that they can do for me because I am too far gone!

• Hi @Clazza59

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. And thanks to fellow community folk for their support.

There is substantial evidence to show that both, physiotherapy and healthy eating to lose overweight (where needed) can be helpful in the management of osteoarthritis (OA).

The joint changes with osteoarthritis can be seen as 'age related' in many instances. So we can in part see the loss of cartilage (and therefore smooth movement in joints) as natural ageing. So seeing keeping moving and losing weight as supporting the body to age better, may be a helpful perspective.

The evidence to support people doing their daily physiotherapy led to Versus Arthritis starting & supporting many ground-breaking exercise schemes.

Let's Move with Leon | Versus Arthritis

Escape-pain - Self management for Arthritic pain using exercise

If you'd like us to send you any further information or to talk through your situation, do please ring us or message us at the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Kind regards

Guy - Helpline Team