Medication

Hi

l was prescribed Naproxen and Lansoprazole to protect my stomach 6 months ago. I have been having repeat prescriptions ever since. I have just read that Lansoprazole shouldn’t be taken long term and can cause bone fractures and liver damage. Also it said bloods should be taken regularly to monitor levels. I haven’t had any contact with my GP regarding this and now I am concerned. I take a Lansoprazole every day with Naproxen.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Poppy01 firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have been managing your arthritis for a while with Naproxen and Lansoprazole but becoming concerned about the affects of this on your body long term.

It is best that you speak to your GP or Rheumatologist for advice in the first instance, raising your concerns.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some information regarding Lansoprazole and Naproxen (under NSAIDs) that may help you for that conversation.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Hi @Poppy01

Thanks for your enquiry to the Helpline. I'm not sure what kind of arthritis you may have, whether it's osteoarthritis or another kind.

Conditions | Types of arthritis, causes, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

The NHS guidance around the use of tablet anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) for osteoarthritis, advises the lowest possible dose for the shortest possible time, and encourages using rub-on (topical) NSAIDS instead where possible. (This is because in recent years there's been concern about the long-term risks of these tablets.)

(The use of a drug such as lansoprazole, may be connected to the NSAID prescription so both drugs ought to be considered.)

But in some cases where the arthritis requires it, the doctor may decide another approach and then it's good practice to have a full conversation about the pros and cons of the drug treatment, so you are making an informed choice, and should include the kinds of long-term risks that the drugs carry and how to monitor your health.

The best person to talk to would be the prescribing doctor, (or a pharmacist) and if you'd like some more information why not email us at the Helpline (helpline@versusarthritis.org) so we might send you fuller information? To do that, do let us know the kind of arthritis you have if possible.

Whatever type of arthritis you are affected by, it's helpful to ensure that your daily self-management will support your musculoskeletal health. The foundations of self-management for arthritis are keeping moving (and specific exercises for the joints affected) and healthy eating to control weight.

If you'd like some support, or a chance to talk about your arthritis, do ring us on our freephone 0800 5200 520.

All the best

Guy - Helpline team