Pseudo Gout

Options
Min
Min Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Recently been diagnosed with Pseudo Gout. I follow, in general, the Mediterranean Diet but cannot find any advice anywhere as to what to avoid eating to help with pain in the wrists and knees.

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94
    Options

Hi @Min

Welcome to our online forum and thank you very much for contacting us for support.

I see that you have been diagnosed with pseudo-gout, also known as acute CPP crystal arthritis, and are asking for advice about what to eat to try and help with the pain in your joints.

The Versus Arthritis website has a page of information about pseudo-gout that I hope you will find helpful –

In particular our website has this to say about diet and pseudo-gout -

"Calcium crystal diseases aren’t usually caused by what you eat. Special diets and supplements are needed only for the very few people whose condition is caused by magnesium deficiency or kidney problems. For general health and well-being you should eat a well-balanced diet and avoid becoming overweight. This is particularly important if you have osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Calcium crystal diseases can’t be caused by eating too much calcium. It’s important to have enough calcium in your diet, for example from dairy products. Otherwise you might be at risk of developing the condition osteoporosis, which causes bones to thin and fracture."

More generally the website has a page about diet and arthritis that may help - although a "Mediterranean diet" fits fairly closely to what they advise -

I hope that our users are able to make some useful suggestions that will help to ease your symptoms/pain. Please keep in touch to let us know how you get on.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues