Choosing a consultant - knee replacement

CaroleL
CaroleL Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I am new to this forum, and wonder if anyone can give me any advice on choosing a consultant for knee replacement surgery? I have looked at consultants' profiles on the NHS website for my area and found the National Joint Registry which gives some information, but it would be good to get advice from anyone who has been through this, and particularly anyone who lives in the same area as me - Eastbourne, East Sussex. Thanks.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947
    edited 26. Jan 2022, 15:18

Hello @CaroleL and welcome to the online community,

You’re looking for advice on how to choose a consultant for knee replacement surgery. Many of our members have undergone this type of surgery and I’m sure will be able to give you the benefit of their experience.

I’m not sure if the NHS site you mentioned is the same as the one below - It allows you to compare all UK hospitals using a wide range of factors, including overall quality of service (judged by the regulator); other patients' views and waiting times. You can search with a variety of criteria, including surgical procedure:

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Hospital/LocationSearch/7/Hospitals

Do carry on posting if you have any more questions, and join in any conversations where you feel comfortable.

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I'm in Scotland but have experience of both knee and hip replacements while living in N. England.

I'd say the teaching hospitals usually get the best surgeons but also have the longest waiting lists as the best surgeons get to do the more difficult operations.

Rule of thumb - if a surgeon does revision surgery he's more experienced than one who just does first replacements - but see above😉

Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94

Hi All

Just a reminder that our Community Guidelines say -

"Do not identify medical professionals or organisations by name when commenting. This is to avoid any risk of legal disputes."

Please answer @CaroleL 's question in a general way - she is asking for general advice not specific recommendations of surgeons/hospitals. Thank you @stickywicket - that's a great example of how to pitch it :-)

@ToneBlues