I am a new member

Options
ClareMG
ClareMG Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, I was recently diagnosed with Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis known as DISH. I am 60 years old and my last employment was as a health care assistant for the NHS at my local hospital. I joined this site to hopefully connect with others suffering the same as me but also get as much information as I can about a condition I never knew existed until I was told I had it!

Its very early days for me and I am still coming to terms with my diagnosis but trying hard to stay positive! The key for me is to keep moving which I am working hard at doing. I start physiotherapy this week as I was told it will help so fingers crossed. I have good and bad days but I am determined I am not giving in! Thanks for reading 😊

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @ClareMG

Its great to meet you, you will find everyone here very supportive and helpful. Yours is an unusual condition where it's the ligaments that get hard and bone like, whereas most types of arthritis affect bones or the actions of bones on cartilage. You are new to this condition and finding out what you can expect and what to do to keep yourself as well as possible.

Here's our information on DISH

The effects of your condition are similar to other conditions so reading about those will help you too.

Exercise is important for all of us with any arthritis and we have a great section within Living with Arthritis called ‘let’s move'. There are lots of ways to exercise covered there, I’m sure you will find something to suit. Check it out here

You can join any of the discussions or start one of your own! Our members have many different conditions but as we tend towards dealing with symptoms you will find our members will have lots in common with you. Do ask any questions and share your experiences.

Looking forward to seeing you over on Let’s Move

Take care

Yvonne x

• Ju2009
    Ju2009 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I get pain in my wrists, and my fingers it really painful, been waiting on referral for year and half , I also have a rare neurological disease which triggers arthritis, but I need confirmation, and treatment. ( however cos of COVID, ), also every part of me me clicks, neck, back, legs ect feel like I’m falling apart, what are the the treatments please age 53 x

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Ju2009 and welcome to the community, I hope you find it helpful, friendly and informative.

I understand that you get pain in your wrists and fingers and are waiting on a referral. Our website has a lot of useful information and a good search function and I suggest having a look around it. To help I've put a couple of links below.

There is hopefully something of relevance in the above links. Please do keep posting and let us know how you are progressing and I am sure that others will connect with you and share their experiences as well. I hope your referral comes through soon.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm