Foot pain

Canary18
Canary18 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

To those who have pain in their feet , is it only me or does it feel like the bones in your toes are rubbing together causing pain with every foot step.

Comments

• AndyT
    AndyT Member Posts: 47

Where is the pain, the toes or ball of the foot? I have pain in the balls of my feet mainly at my big toes. Causes pain when putting weight on them when walking.

Saw a Podiatrist several times but they couldn’t determine the cause, they made me special insoles to shift the pressure elsewhere which seemed to work over several months. Currently pain free so far this year.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812

Hi @AndyT

I've got the same problem - the balls of both feet and the underside of the toes on my right foot are aching most of the time. I end up walking like a duck at times. I saw an NHS podiatrist today and she has prescribed a certain type of insole for me - she doesn't have them in stock at present but she'll mail me them when they come in. I'll let you know the make if you like. The other suggestion she made to me when I told her I was back to walking with my dog was to buy a certain type of running shoe. The brand she suggested was Hoka Carbon X as she had experience of them but any shoe with a carbon fibre plate in the sole would probably do. Seemingly the plate is to give a spring to runners but the podiatrist has found it benefits people with pain in the balls of their feet. They are expensive - and come in some shocking colours.

• AndyT
    AndyT Member Posts: 47

Hi @jamieA

thinking back, mine were ordered in (NHS podiatrist) then they were modified to take the pressure of the ball of the big toe. Took a few weeks to get them. They seemed to work best in a chunky walking type shoe. They immediately helped to reduce pain, Andrew I’m sure they’ve contributed to the recovery. Funny that you mentioned running shoes, yesterday I was thinking that getting some good running shoes would be my next step towards trying to do a tiny bit of jogging or a quick run around the park with the kids, I’ll have look at the Hoka carbon X 👍🏻

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812

Hi @AndyT

Think you might need your sunglasses when you look at them 😀. What happened to good old black trainers.